Other Severely crushed heels

Discussion in 'Shoeing Horses with Lameness Issues' started by david kelly, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

With the heels and bars folded over like that I am surprised the horse does not have suppurating corns.
  2. Offline

Gabino Active Member

025.jpg
    A wooden clog and impression material could be a good option for the first shoeing cycle,at least.
  3. Offline

david a hall Moderator

get the half rounders cut a clip hole well back into the wall nail the shoe on and hunt for it with the rasp. It looks like it will come back a mile.
  4. Offline

Justin Decker Active Member

FYI it's not good to get magic cushion on the skin, bulbs or coronary band. It is strong enough to blister them.

Looks like you have your hands full, good luck.
  5. Offline

Patty Lynch Member

I have one that was a vet referral that was like yours. A TB gelding. Trimmed the folded over stuff and the horse was amazingly more comfortable. I am now referred to as "magic fingers" at that barn. Anyway.... the horse couldn't tolerate anything. Not even IM in the commisures. I bit the bullet and put a Castle frog support pad on him with Magic Cushion and felt underneath. The pic on the right is the first shoeing. Hopefully you can see how he was standing on the frog and crushed heels. The left is 2 shoeings after that. I have never had Magic Cushion blister anything and I use it under all my pads. Have used the Xtreme a lot as well.

Note..... I take pics for me... not for sharing usually. Hence the unswept floor and the Magic Cushion oozing .....

Attached Files:

6. Offline

david kelly Dave Kelly

Cant use that Gabino she has to start training again in the next week. There is no long term goal with this filly only short term, she has to race 6 weeks from yesterday, after that I will worry bout long term goal.
    I know there's a load of toe there but don't wanna touch anything til I have x-rays, then I will balance exactly around coa.

Thanks for the heads up Justin didn't realize it was that strong. I only covered the foot surface anyhow so wasn't a problem

I removed the heel this morning, photos will follow, was thinking of using the castle plastic pads but thought heart bar would give better support and I could float the heels

You wont be surprised to see the photo below so!
  7. Offline

david kelly Dave Kelly

3 deg pad with heels cut out taped on again after trim, was much happier with the pads taped on.. I see now lookin at photo I should have taken a bit more bar on the lateral heel.
    002.jpg
  8. Offline

gary evans old and slow

I knew someone called 'magic fingers' once... he could make your tools disappear! :)
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  9. Offline

Eric Russell Active Member

Looks to me the biggest problem in the first place was the trim. Tough to tell from the pic, the lateral heel looks to still be laying over on the sole which will only cause issues down the road. What did you do at the end of the heel to the widest part of the frog?
  10. Offline

david kelly Dave Kelly

I would say he never trimmed her only nailed a shoe on, the previous two shoeings I had taking the toe back, bevelling the shoe the widh of the section and the heels down to something solid, but was being conservative as it was mid season but it was obviously crushing again when he shod her.

Yea as I said above the photo only noticed it when I looked at the picture, I'l remove that Monday before I shoe her.

You will have to circle what ya mean i'm not seeing what your talking about, if ya mean where I caught it with the rasp a little, she isn't the easiest
  11. Offline

It looks like, instead of trimming the excess heel off, the back of the heel was dressed.

The back of the heels looks to be intentionally rolled off.
  12. Offline

david kelly Dave Kelly

If I did it wasn't done intentionally, My aim was just to get down to a solid base.
  13. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

Not nearly as much toe as you think. You have no vertical depth and no concavity. Blue line is about where I would expect to find the tip of P3. Red line across the "bridge" is where I would put the 50/50.
    Image1.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Offline

Gabino Active Member

Cant use that Gabino she has to start training again in the next week. There is no long term goal with this filly only short term, she has to race 6 weeks from yesterday, after that I will worry bout long term goal.

If the owner wants she competes beeing lame,the neuroblocking or the neurotomy is his better option.
  15. Offline

david kelly Dave Kelly

I haven't wanted to touch anything before seeing rads in case that was the case, from the lateral view looks like loads of toe but your mapping looks right, i'm glad i have waited, the rads will remove any doubt
  16. Offline

If you mark a spot below the center of p3, as the angle of p3 decreases the distance from that point to the nondistorted toe increases. The toe is long because of the low angle but it's barely distorted if any.
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  17. Offline

david kelly Dave Kelly

The more I think about this the more I feel a wedge is needed given that the goal is short term. Wedging may not be the best to re balance the foot long term but I cant see her training/racing over the next 6 weeks with feet that flat.
  18. Offline

gary evans old and slow

I'm not so sure, looking at the top inch or so below the coronary band and what you can see of the pastern angle, I think that the correct angle of the wall should be something like this:

kelly.jpg

I would probably try fitting a shoe with either no clip or quarter clips and graduated heels to that line with as much length as I could get away with then bevel the toe.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  19. Offline

david kelly Dave Kelly

I'm thinking at the moment alu century supports with welded in bar insert which would be what your saying and probably a wedge pad, and i.m or equipak under the pad, I'l bevel then to where I see in the x rays.
  20. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

Even though it would require more supplementary heel elevation I think that I would be pulling those heels back a lot more.