Other Severely crushed heels

Discussion in 'Shoeing Horses with Lameness Issues' started by david kelly, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Offline

Clint Burrell Active Member

David,
    My opinion based on your pics and a bit of exp. w/ runners.

Fit w/ wide web alu wedge. Incorperate breakover to whatever degree x-ray demand and/or the foot will allow. Don't over wedge(as with a wedge shoe and wedge pad) but get enough to get the frog close to ground level or just a hair above w/ shoe. Would most likely stay away from pour-in pads or IM.

If wedge shoe is enough, then I would add a rim pad of either felt or leather to gain a bit of cup/depth. Mtl choise just my preferance.

Would have grooms pack feet w/ magic cushion for 10 days or so then have them paint with sole paint there after till she races. If regular sole paint not availible then formaldihide/strong iodine or at very least strong iodine.

Set race plates about 5 days before she runs, includeing whatever pad choise I had made w/ previous shoeing. After race keep after your trimming and if someone else tries to shoe her, "kick em in the balls".

Most importantly don't over do it. Best way to slow one down is to "get in their way". It's hard to make a slow horse faster but is easy to slow a fast horse down.

Best of luck.(y)
  2. Offline

brian robertson Active Member

Backing the reality bus. "beep. beep. beep". This horse has to be in race training Monday; seriouly restricting the orthotics she could be wearing. Putting barshoes on her will be a sales job in itself. Heartbars or Wedge pads on a runner?

Secondly, there has to be a reason why this mare has trashed those feet; it's too simple to blame previous shoeings and I don't think it's realistic.

Is she pulling herself at the gallop instead of driving off the hind end? Any lameness work ups?

I think, sculpting some heels with Equilox/kevlar or fibre glass and direct glueing a straight bar with rocker toe or set back queens plate would be the best bet.

Ideally, a Sigafoose race with the cuff cut out in the toe for a set back & caudal pour in would work the best, got to get some integrity back into those walls.

I think those foot issues are a symptom not the under lying cause of her problems.
  3. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

I think this foot with butter and syrup, two strips of bacon, and a glass of OJ you would have the perfect american pancake breakfast.
  4. Offline

brad kovatu New Member

what does the trainer think?
  5. Offline

Eric Russell Active Member

I'm not much in the racing world but I'd imagine if you're worried about flat feet (vertical depth) you would want a rim pad not a wedge pad.

Correcting the feet and getting the horse to race are two different things IMO. The only thing I'm fairly certain of is, Gabino's use of the banana shoe on every foot he see's probably isn't acceptable on the track :D
  6. Offline

chris bunting Well-Known Member

bloody things will slip all over the place Eric , one of vthe silliest things being promoted by a few at the minute , nobody can even explain how to dress the feet ready for their application
  7. Offline

David get them heels down , get the toe back and shoe the bloody to run , typical everyday racehorse feet unfortunately
  8. Offline

david a hall Moderator

I have to agree with this, Id pull it back hard, If it were a dressage horse id be sympathetic and add length and maybe side clips. You havent caused this and wont have time to cure it. I used to see this all the time in racing and now in polo, same horses just different use. Id get a nice shaped shoe drop it in and rasp it back, The capsule never suffered as a result, Jim Blurton used to call it remedial dumping.
  9. Offline

get some cytecs on it , may as well do it properly
  10. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Just out of interest could you clarify this post?
  11. Offline

brad kovatu New Member

racehorse trainers should be a big part of coming up with the solution. he should have an idea what the horse needs to wear compete with on the track she will be on. what she should be training in shouldnt be way far off of what she will be racing in.. that may narrow your focus and keep you on realistic solutions. also, you clearly have a horse in near top form if she is allowed to compete in this big race. dont go throwing timberlands on a horse thats used to competing in tennis shoes.
    gabino already said the real solution. you have a lame horse + race of her life = footblock
  12. Offline

are you for real ?
  13. Offline

brad kovatu New Member

for really real
  14. Offline

take it your not in the international flat racing game then ?
  15. Offline

brad kovatu New Member

i am not. you are reffering to testing?
  16. Offline

brian robertson Active Member

17. Offline

david kelly Dave Kelly

18. Offline

david kelly Dave Kelly

Thanks for all the suggestions and input. Her palmer angle was around 0 deg so no wedge, theyre happy for her to race in this set up. She almost 100% now(y)
  19. Offline

DeniseMc Member

Hi David,
    Could you post photos of the radiographs? How was her hoof pastern axis, before, after? Did you retrim her before applying shoes; any photos to post?
  20. Offline

david kelly Dave Kelly

I only got the solar shot after, hoof pastern axis was not aligned, I will be able to do more to her after her race, she can't race in wedges and could likely pull them training.
    The vet saved the x-rays to a memory stick for me but my computer cant read the file type. I have got them saved to memory stick before from that machine by a different vet so il ask her whats wrong and and try again.