Other Severely crushed heels

Discussion in 'Shoeing Horses with Lameness Issues' started by david kelly, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Offline

brian robertson Active Member

Good job Dave, I'm not sure of the surface she'll be running on but if it's at all "cuppy" I would put more of a bevel on the leading edge of your bar. Match the bevel at the toe.
  2. Offline

david kelly Dave Kelly

Thanks Brian,
  3. Offline

Dave, are you going to get a chance to watch her breeze? If it looks like she is climbing in front, I would reduce the width of the bars
  4. Offline

david kelly Dave Kelly

No unfortunately I don't get a chance to see them work. I asked the vet yesterday had she any other issues he says no. He told me she has always had these type of feet since she was young and that the mare had the same feet and her half brother had the same feet so he reckons its a hereditary trait. All four feet are LT/LH but it was only the RF that the heels collapsed and she went lame on.
    She is back to work today and I will be in the yard tomorrow and will change things if I get negative feedback from the trainer.
  5. Offline

George Spear Member

Typical race horse feet. I spent only a year working on racehorses while apprenticing. And decided to focus on fixing their feet after they retire for the kid who now owns them rather than being involved in creating the lameness. I don't think the trainer or the owner or some other parties involvement excuses the farrier/farriers who created this issue from their responsibility.
  6. Offline

Dave, are you not allowed to watch the work outs or you can't take the time? I ate alot of breakfasts (trainer paying of course) watching horses working. There are some things that a shoer can see that nobody else notices. The good info source are the jocks, they'll feel things long before anybody will notice. The downside is, you have to buy (usually top shelf 'cause the jocks don't eat) to get that info
  7. Offline

david kelly Dave Kelly

No buying top shelf or even bottom shelf out here Brian :cry: . The jockey will give feedback though no bother. If I get a chance some morning I'l watch her but ya have to be kinda careful out here, if ya get too involved it usually backfires on you there's a lot of politics out here.
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. Offline

dana fenn It's complicated . . . .

i seriously don't envy you here, David . . . . but no matter which way it goes, i sure hope you continue to keep us up-dated!
  9. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Good job David.
  10. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

What about satellite reconnaissance or video shot from a drone? LOL!!!
  11. Offline

Gabino Active Member

What about the mare,David? Can she to compete finally?
  12. Offline

david kelly Dave Kelly

Yeah Gabino she's 100% now Oliver Peslier was over from France and breezed her last weekend and was very happy with her and she's out for an easy run this weekend and then Peslier will come out to ride her in the big one in 3 weeks time. I haven't changed the shoes since but check her twice a week and after talking with vet and trainer we decided if its not broken dont fix it so she'l stay in the bar shoes for now.
  13. Offline

14. Offline

mikkoj1977 New Member

nice work David!!!