shoeing habit

Discussion in 'Everyday Horseshoeing' started by chris bunting, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Heres a thing, I have put some thicker shoes on to some footy horses to lift it off the ground and keep any sensitive regions being scissored between descending body weight and tera firma. Then there are horses with a thin sole that over flexes as the limb goes through the weight bearing phase. the sole flattens as P3 descends in the capsule. A wide webbed shoe that doesnt have any unkind edges on the foot surface will reduce the effect of P3 falling through the middle of the shoe. As Mr P says it can be surface specific.
    For me the wall thickness and any capsule deviation is the reason for my prescription.
  2. Offline

chris bunting Well-Known Member

now were getting there IMO , i shoe a lot of TBs , the answer is not wide webbed boots
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

BUT I have sounded up some sore footed TBs that are not racers tho..Jumpers need alittle more sometimes? Do you agree Jaye?
  4. Offline

kin ell , now we are getting pedantic , look at what has actually been posted , there will always be exceptions , to quote Rick "it kin well depends "
  5. Offline

lets go back a few posts , what actually is cover and support , nobody has replied to that question
  6. Offline

gary evans old and slow

Good question Chris, because they are 'mystical' words in farriery which one should never query for fear of being considered as dim as the kid in the emperor's new clothes...

... so I made up my own definitions; cover is the area of foot protected by the shoe, support is the area of the shoe outside the foot eg. the length of shoe beyond the heels of the foot is there for support, whereas the increased surface area of a wider web shoe is there for extra cover.

as I say, these are only the definitions I have made for myself because I didn't want to look daft by asking...
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Offline

surely this excess " support" causes leverage , and exactly what are we supposed to be covering ?
  8. Offline

gary evans old and slow

I thought so, but have been told I'm wrong

the area of the sole and wall that would come into contact with the ground
    ... as I understand it.
  9. Offline

AnthonyLawrence Active Member

Support: I always supposed it means altering physiological dynamics, for example trying to limit dorsiflexion or prevent overdorsiflexion of IPJs

A a weekend clinic, guru seemed to prefer the term "flotation".

Cover: What Gary said.
  10. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

I use those term loosely, not as religious sacramental dogma. An extended heel will give additional leverage that will help the hock preform it's job with less stress. It could be said that it gives the leg support, Or not if you didn't want to use the word support.
    Flotation can be used to describe what happens when a wide web shoe is used to help a dressage horse that sinks in to a soft footing and gets its feet too deep to get out of it's own way. Flotation can be used to discribe the silly vest the novice jumper wanabe who can't swim, is wearing on her first day in the water jumps.
  11. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

Adams you slay me!!:)
  12. Offline

where have i used the word "flotation " , i asked about support and cover , these words are being used on an everyday basis but nobody has yet come with a definition of what they are , how the hell as farriers are we supposed to know what they mean when each individual has a different definition , its just more phsyco babble used to impress because we dont actually know
  13. Offline

I guess we farriers are not known for having a good command of the language, Neanderthal grunts being the most common vernacular.... so I suppose guys have an idea what they want to achieve and have to come up with some scientific sounding bullshit for the client.... along with the message, don't ask any questions!

JMOFWIW
  14. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

Anthony used the word flotation.
  15. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

One has to take in effect/affect of experiences; i have been lucky. From the sands of Dubai to the green hills around Dublin to the busy streets of Singapore to the North Georgia Mountains to the hard tracks at Penn National to the volcanic rock(s) in Washington state to Truth or Consequences New Mexico and many others...

Take notes on the horses under your care. what they do, how they do and what they do.... to "standardize is mediocrity"...:cool:
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

Agreed Pard..."put some iron on the bastards...." Seen numerous Grand Prix Jumpers "Jump through their feet due to the lack of support; enough iron to facilitate good foot function to the discipline of the horse.....have noted medial displacement on this forum....
    View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxybyI1KreU&list=UUsCBnrhrkkpoPgBzcJuHAFw

22 mm x 10 mm on this mare with no displacement. some have mistaken rads with imbalance at time taken with inferior shoein'; lack of experiences and lack of good iron on the horses feet have led to changes.
  17. Offline

No Bill, I said clinician used the word flotation.
  18. Offline

what is flotation then ?
  19. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

Flotation requirements are covered under US Code of Federal Regulations Title 33, Sections 183.101 - 183.335

Note, the rules were revised in November of 2003.
  20. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

I didn't say you said it Anthony, I said (let the record show) that you used it.