shoeing habit

Discussion in 'Everyday Horseshoeing' started by chris bunting, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

I've thought about this use of nebulous terms and will try and clear it up with this explanation.
    To shoe a horse correctly, the Farrier must properly balance the feet, apply shoes that give coverage and support, flotation when needed, place breakover in the in the most optimal point in relation to skeletal conformation, with coverage that gives support to the point of breakover. Caudal support is critical and can be obtained with adequate coverage, providing additional flotation. Coverage must be used to give proportional symmetry to correct conformational faults and support proper conformation.
    Tomorrow I'll work up something using the words concavity, expansion, torsion, shearing, flexation and a primmer on how dig horseshit out of a hoof that stepped in this post.
  2. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

Can't wait for tomorrows lesson..:)
  3. Offline

AnthonyLawrence Active Member

We're playing semantics I suppose, but I would prefer you said I "mentioned " flotation, rather than "used " it. ;-)
  4. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

Henceforth it will be 'mentioned' as in "Anthony was mentioned in Bill's multi million dollar will. Bill wrote "Hello Anthony!"".
  5. Offline

AnthonyLawrence Active Member

I can't wait:-P
  6. Offline

chris bunting Well-Known Member

exactly , you dont know do you ? its just words being used too sound as though you know what you talking about but at the end of they day they actually mean jack shit
  7. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

Perhaps you should include "a proper trim" and "good nail fit" in your list, for those who like to wag on about such.

Regards
  8. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Well for terminology I still like , "just shoe the xxxxxx horse " so it goes off and does what it needs to do!

Ray
  9. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

Chris,
    I guess you have to find the definition by going back to the simple questions.
    Coverage; dose a wider web shoe cover more of the foot than a thinner web shoe?
    Support; Is there a way that a horseshoe properly extending beyond the hoof wall can beneficially change the bio-mechanics of a horse, and if so could this be called support?
  10. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

A beautiful example of the "Socratic Methods of learning(s)".:cool: