Shoelng in Missouri

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by monty.styron, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Offline

monty.styron Active Member

End of feb early march. So mutch to do.handed over part of my books allready but have quite a fue who dont want to change shoers tell they have to. Mostly trims this time of year so no biggy
  2. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

I have made the move in the past 9 months also
  3. Offline

Hardest part is telling my clients .they have ben verry good to me over the years .
  4. Offline

I still have the same clients, so it diddent effect me that way
  5. Offline

Kind of like breaking up .Never thought id be telling a grizzold old cow hand ." Look its not you its me ":)
  6. Offline

david kelly Dave Kelly

Your not in Cellbridge anymore John? Where did ya move, let me guess somewhere with a big forge and an even bigger garden :)
  7. Offline

24000 lbs to the scrap yard and still a bunch to go took yesterday off to repare my forge and today the winds howling and its cold maybe gods telling me to take a day off .
  8. Offline

Kildare david
  9. Offline

Joey Aczon Member

I've never spent any appreciable time in MO so I can't comment what the horses really need. I do however work on quite a few MFT's that come from MO from time to time. Probably a good 75% of them come wearing St Croix heeled "lites" or "plains", about 10% in plan kegs with the balance bare footed. Half of those shod are covered in sinful amounts of Kutrite.

I try to avoid using heeled kegs whenever possible. I don't think I've ever even purchased a pair honestly. Generally I can get them working well in plain plates. If not I usually refer them to a trainer because its not worth the hassle of putting something fancy on them unless the jockey really knows what they're doing. (In which case they rarely need anything fancy in the first place.)
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  10. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

I lived in Missouri for nine months in '91-'92. Left there to shoeing school. I think you'll find the reason most things are done on horses there is because someone's Grampa done it that way.
    I had heard that heel toe corked shoes were used was to give a bit more weight for a bit more action so a HTLight sounds funny. Of course with HT shoes they won't wear through as soon, so you don't have to shoe as often.
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  11. Offline

Last ride on an old friend today.one less to have to hall to MO IMG_20150124_131448.jpg
  12. Offline

Halling the last hores im selling today . Going to a lady who teaches the kids 4h horsemanship and showes in driving classes in ok so i guess we will have to make a trip next summer and see how he dose. Got my home work done yesterday so unless smitty flunks me or makes me do it over its back to packing today.
  13. Offline

Clint Burrell Active Member

You get there, look up Rick Copenhaver. Used to be out of St. James but think he's around Steeleville or Hillsboro now. Just an old bronc rider/horseshoer but you'll like him. Be careful if he's shootin' sparrows in the arena w/ a .45LC, sittin' in the garage in his boat watchin' the fish finder or doin' any kind of drinking. And if you do see him, tell him I've got an "arena booger" I forgot to send him. He'll know what your/I'm talking about.;)
  14. Offline

Sounds like my kind of people Clint thanks
  15. Offline

Well this sucks. allready geting calls complaining about there new shoer's. Mostly about horse handling but still making me feel a little guilty .
  16. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Monty,

If you ve done nothing wrong ,there s nothing to feel guilty about! A friend of mine in a similar but different. Situation handled the guilt by saying words to the effect, I ll do my best but you,the customer will need to pay my additional expenses to travel to service your equines by the hourly rate......... Florida to Mass. Door to door..... He stopped getting calls!

Enjoy YOUR new life,

Ray
  17. Offline

brian robertson Active Member

A local shoer moved from Michigan to OK ten years ago and he still drives back to work around here 1 weekout of 8. Said he makes more money in 1 week here than 7 weeks in OK
  18. Offline

Oh Ray the sins I have comitted, I have struck cold steel,undercharged and eaven raised my hand to a colt on a few occashions :( seriously though I have had the honer of working for some great people here for a lot of years and they have ben great about this for the most part. But your rite Ray thanks
  19. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

send them a bill for the superior work you've done over the years, retroactively as they obviously haven't been paying you enough.
  20. Offline

Last trip to a real ranch today :( :)