Show us your handmades

Discussion in 'Horseshoeing Competitions and Handmade Horseshoes' started by david a hall, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Offline

Eric Russell Active Member

The guide fuller just steady's your fuller when marking. It's not a guide for where you fullering should go.
  2. Offline

A hot cut works well. The section is weak at the top so you need something very narrow so it doesn't pop open too much.
  3. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

as far as i know the guide fuller has to suite the block
    not every guide fuller works with each block
    you use your guide fuller then splitter
    going down 1/3 dept of your section
    then you use your fuller again not every fuller suites.
    one big no no is dont be to fine or you will not get them up
  4. Offline

When you make them for feet you have to stretch or not go in so deep. So you can have different sections s out of the same block. Depending on your guide for depth every time isn't the best decision Imo
  5. Offline

Chris B has loads of blocks for different sections
    i would be thinking the block is for that through section
    i could be wrong
  6. Offline

You can certainly have a block for every length and you can have guide set up also. As a rule I don't let my tools dictate my shoe building.
  7. Offline

dont follow that Eric
  8. Offline

All the guide fuller does for me is help steady the tool. Why do you use it?
  9. Offline

Justin Decker Active Member

What he's trying to say is we let the guide fuller dictate the shoe. We only had 3 pieces of 5/8 the first died in a tragic fire:) the second came out too coarse and this one to fine. The only thing we did with the guide was mark it.
  10. Offline

chris bunting Well-Known Member

how can one block make several sections ? a guide fuller is only used to mark the fullering then a hunter fuller is used to fuller the section wherever it is required , the fullers we use in tooled section are narrower ( set at 40 * rather than 50* ) this pushes the outside of the section upright making a nice concave section . as John said we have blocks that cover a variety of sections , some have the guide in the bottom of the block , used for the front shoes , we rarely use a guide fuller
  11. Offline

After you make your section, heat it up and hit it some more. Your section will change.
  12. Offline

What section are you getting Eric out of your block
  13. Offline

Don't remember. Prob around 7/16 x 3/4. Generally I end up using someone else's block of so we don't have to switch out blocks. Which is why I like to use my eye to set the guide rather than depending on it being set up for a particular block.
  14. Offline

Justin Decker Active Member

15. Offline

Chad Rice New Member

Eric I have no idea what the hell your trying to say... the guide fuller helps you steady the tool but doesn't dictate your fullering? If the guide fuller isn't set up for the block why mark it with a guide fuller that you have to move either more coarse or more fine... just mark it with the splitter.

The only time I see a guide fuller being useful is when it is set up for a particular section.
  16. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

OK Two questions, first how many have used spider plates and what was y0ur reason and results? And How do you start a thread on here? I can't seem to find the right button? or click thing?:)
  17. Offline

The reason a guide fuller is used is you dont have a big area to work with (fullering) and
    the guide fuller justs makes a small channel so when you use the splitter

it doesnt wander. having the guide fuller set up to suite your section is a big +
    the splitter goes down a nice part of the way and then use your fuller lightly

to sweeten the job.
    now i havent done much of T/F but those words come from men

that know what there talking about
  18. Offline

gary evans old and slow

In the Forum bar, click on the sub forum that you want to create a thread in (in this case 'Horseshoeing Competitions and Handmade Horseshoes') and you will find a button at the end of the Forum bar toward the top of the page which says 'Post New Thread'.
  19. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

There's a forum bar? What's on tap?
  20. Offline

Dmitry, that's pretty much what I've been saying. If your guide isnt set up there are other ways toget it done. When im by myself i run the hammer down the top,to create a flat spot,then split it with no guide.