Smitty 88 to USA!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Horseshoeing Competitions and Handmade Horseshoes' started by George Geist, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

Ray,

At this point in time, I can't think of another clinician I would rather see, and I have been to a lot of "reely" good ones.

Regards
  2. Offline

Travis Morgan Copenhagen. You can see it in my smile!

I don't see anyone requesting an audience with misters Perry and Hall, so they can be run down.
  3. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

I'd go to a clinic featuring either one.

Regards
  4. Offline

Ben Sturman Wanna Be!

Been to Jaye's, spent 4 plus days with about 20 others and we learned a ton about lameness shoeing, had some guys work in the forge and show some good stuff, and we all got to get under horses and learn. One of the best weeks I've had in this business. Uncle Jaye is one smart bastard, but he don't give information away free. He makes you think about things and reason stuff through. He wants YOU to figure out what to do and how to do. You learnt that way instead of being able to repeat what he said and sound smart.

Oh yeah, he fed us, housed us, and filled us with all the information he could. Damn good clinic. We drank a bit to, but most of all we learned and had fun.
  5. Offline

travis dupree reed Active Member

David with all due respect if a farrier can't as a question what hell is to be learned.. if all watch a horse trimmed and shod we can do that everyday on here... I heard this at a clinic one time..the guy really said if everyone will do it the way I'm showing you it will become the normal..and horse owners and vets will stop calling it into question..as it is now you got some fitting full to the toe and some setting back .....that is almost a quote of what was said...most bhaaaaaaa like blind sheep and follow a leader imo.. how dare anyone question a way ...imo most farriers should be able to field any question and tell why or why not they may do it the way they do.....its all so subjective should not be a really right or wrong...unless Shoeing to one idea..
  6. Offline

travis dupree reed Active Member

Travis I would go to hall and Perry..would be a good one.......but the one clinic I hold hope for is Jaye P and Pat R.... Ain't no telling what we might see... I would deff go see a smitty if close and price was right.....I feel sure we would see a heavy horse shod in a hand made with a toe clip... And he may even show Americans how to pull a proper clip...
  7. Offline

Michael Allen Champion spokesman for UK toolmaker!

some of us have tried to get him here already. I think his plate is full with teaching and the Irish team. We forget that just because he wont come here doesn't mean he is not giving a ton to his area. I think he gives so much of himself he just wants a chance to stay home with his wife and kids.
  8. Offline

Travis Morgan Copenhagen. You can see it in my smile!

Perhaps we should ask him?
  9. Offline

david a hall Moderator

My clinic would be quite short, Its bent here here and here, bit short there and a bit long there, thats why thats bigger and thats smaller. The only disappointing thing is its taken years to work out why. Im not sure if I have enough years left to work out what to do about it. :D
  10. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Michael,

Thanks for that,

I don't know the circumstances of the past attempts, I do know that every day is a different.
    I've turned away accts. because I thought I was too busy only to be sitting around cutting leather( cut the leather to put on the shelf for future times when I would not have time to cut leather, it's like putting time on the shelf) because I had no horses to shoe on a given morning because I lost another acct. that I thought I was protecting.

Things and times change, In conversation and in his post, John did not rule out the possibility , he clearly stated that he is very busy but that a trip may be in the future ,so I would like to continue taking a show of hands. Perhaps those folks who tried before would help out with this attempt and or like to take part in the future clinic. Please pass the word around.

Regards

Ray Steele
  11. Offline

jack mac Guest

David what Beer is that ?. I've only been known to drink XXXX

View: http://youtu.be/0wJ1cmEiKN4
  12. Offline

Karen Fletcher Active Member

So bring Alex!
  13. Offline

Pat Reilly Active Member

If you can get Smitty to the US, I'll bet I could get Dave Duckett and Jaye Perry to come help out with a clinic. I would be happy to host it at NBC.
  14. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Gee Pat

Welcome to the forums, we began discussing maybe having something in the Philly area over a week ago, do you know that nice eyetalian fella Pat Reilly, I hear he lives in that neighborhood, thought he might be a good contact! (see the thread about 3/4 fullering that got hijacked by me I think).

I think the New Bolton Center was mentioned, not sure bout NBC, isn't Brian Williams the news anchor there now I spose ABC and FOX will be calling

seriously,thank you, and thanks to everyone else who has stated interest it would be good to get some additional interest, then Smitty could see that it's not just talk, might make it easier , I don't want to use my trump card on him unless I have to. If you catch up on your reading you will see that he is a busy man this year which can be worked to our advantage to prepare .

Oh, apologies to Christos about that thread

Regards

ray Steele
  15. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

I got up with my Amish connection yesterday. He said they were very very interested - especially if it involved tool making.
  16. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

Not sure about what tools. You know Abner, he likes everything. Offered his shop for the deal, but thought it might be too small. As you know it crowded after about 30 head. But it is a darned good place for a clinic the way the forge is setup.
  17. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Now is where I sneak in and say that if John(Smitty88) would come to do a clinic here in the USA when he has the time, we could steal/borrow/confiscate an idea from Pat and have a contest also, nails and shoes made and set in class, but he had better think about coming over before someone reads this and has their own contest , then it wouldn't be the 1st. Or before the nail makers get wind of it! I posted here so as to not hijack Pats thread.

Regards

Ray Steele
  18. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Well I just knew it would happen,

some moderator over on www.farriersforum.com is talking about a new contest of the month involving the handmade nail idea, nothin's sacred around here!

We may have to make other plans for Smitty's clinic when he has time. Any ideas?

regards

Ray
  19. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

I will pay his travel.
  20. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Jaye,

thanks for the offer,

it's a matter of Smittys schedule right now,

having spoken to a few folks ,would it be fair to say that the upcoming clinic with John(date to be announced by himself) would be preferred to be" hands on",

not a lecture but more a tutorial, show me/us how he does his everyday work. i.e. watching him work, nothing formal ,kinda like a "hammer in".

Regards

Ray