Sole Depth

Discussion in 'Shoeing Horses with Lameness Issues' started by Gary Hill, May 12, 2013.

1. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

Ok, how much success do y'all have in building better sole on your bad footed horses? This should be a good thread?IMO.
  2. Offline

Josh Ramsey Member

I think some horses just don't grow depth of sole. The ones that are distorted bad or pancaked out can be helped by getting the distortion off the foot but in the end if they don't grow much sole I don't think there's much that can be done. Do have a couple horses that grow a ton of wall but not much sole.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  3. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

I agree Josh but some vets are claiming that by using vettec products will build sole? To me anytime you pad sole softens up but doesn't seem to grow better sole? I know Ron Aalders uses banana shoes and has some success?
  4. Offline

Zach's Horseshoeing Member

How do banana shoes help to grow sole
  5. Offline

ray tyron Member

I think your getting into the relm of altering genetics .pretty tuff to do with iron and rubber ,unless your in sothern california then i think you need one of those orra machines
  6. Offline

brian robertson Active Member

7. Offline

Josh Ramsey Member

In my experience all it does is keep it from exfoliating. Some horses are just thin soled.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  8. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

Yes , I find it hard to trump DNA.
  9. Offline

Dave Whitaker Active Member

Here's your sole depth right here..... I grew it in 2 1/2 hours with my very special "empty your wallet to help my soul" trim... ;)

Zigar RF LAT.jpg

This is actually a recent rad from a 6YO Friesian that was taken at a prepurchase exam that I attended on behalf of one of my clients. Its a pet peeve of mine of mine when they "stack" these saddleseat feet like this and don't provide the proper shoeing and solar support to keep the foot from trying to fall out the back like this one is. Even though this foot looked very upright from the outside, you can see how broken back the HPA actually was and how the back of the foot is desperately trying to find the ground. He wasn't cutting it as a saddleseat horse, (wonder why,this work was 11 days old) , hence he was for sale.
    The seller looked at the Vet and myself and asked, "Do I have a farrier problem?".... I whispered to my client and asked her if she was buying this guy....she said yes, so I looked at the seller and answered , "Nope...."

Dave
  10. Offline

chris bunting Well-Known Member

who ? what ?
  11. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

WOW Pard! Give 'em; more ammo! I have a lot of ponies with 25 mm s/d per the "Good Doctor's Tutorial". Take a knife to that : crippled.