something with glue in!!!

Discussion in 'Farrier Photo Contests' started by david a hall, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Offline

david a hall Moderator

They are brilliant for P3 fractures. the only thing I don't use them for is laminitis. takes 2 or 3 mins with the heat gun and put the super on the flange, you will wonder why you did it any other way.
  2. Offline

james hines New Member

Marc, is that Adhere that your using with the cuffs. If so, how do you rate it. I have not tried it.
  3. Offline

Marc Jerram FdSc AWCF www.thefarrier.co.uk

Yes vettec adhere. That is the only pair I have used it for and it did the job and they stayed on. It set fairly quickly but I prefer other products however for shoe glueing.

I used the remaining adhere in the cartridge for non complicated avulsions and it worked well for that also.
  4. Offline

scruggs1 Active Member

This won't win a beauty prize, but it got the job done on a mini that just had a check ligament cut. IMG_2296.JPG IMG_2300.jpg
  5. Offline

scruggs1 Active Member

Here is another of one that had a huge cavity in the wall...all the way up to a little past where the growth rings were and covered a little over a third of the wall. Packed the cavity with DIM mixed with CS crystals then glued the morrison roller.
    View attachment 2199
    IMG_2061.JPG IMG_2067.JPG IMG_2073.JPG
  6. Offline

scruggs1 Active Member

Cool to see the CS crystals show up in the radiograph taken afterward. Ari RF - AP-1-25-2011.original.jpg
  7. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Great stuff.
  8. Offline

david kelly Dave Kelly

How much do you guys pay for the sigafoos cuffs over there? What's DIM Scruggs?
  9. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

DIM = Either Dental Impression Material - used by human dentists for taking a mold of the gums for false teeth.
  10. Offline

scruggs1 Active Member

About $80-85...guess that would be around 63-67 Euro....plus shipping.

What Tom said. :)
  11. Offline

david kelly Dave Kelly

What sort of hardness does it set to? And does it bond to the hoof or just sit in to cavity to fill the hole? Dave Hall great idea for a comp, im learning from it which is what i think these forums should be all about.
    I priced the sigafoos at home think they were bout 80e delivered, was too expensive for customers in Ireland by the time labour and hinds was included.

Here,s a lateral extension from today, pretty boring il hopefully have a better entry before the end of the month

Attached Files:

12. Offline

scruggs1 Active Member

The DIM does not bond to the hoof at all. The main reason I put it in the cavity is because they didn't want me to take off the wall over the cavity (per the vet). I didn't want to cover that cavity up without something in there to fight a bacterial/fungal infection. Essentially, the DIM was irrelevant other than it was used only as a carrier for the copper sulfate crystals. I rolled it around in the crystals before I packed the cavity with it.
  13. Offline

david a hall Moderator

It Is indeed David, I learn all the time from these things, Nice looking lateral, was it Jameg?
  14. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Got a phone call from the vet, this had been going on for a while before we saw it. It was walking on his pasterns, one of my boys had to hold it up to fix it. It is now normal although I havent seen it.
    DSC00180.JPG DSC00181.JPG DSC00182.JPG DSC00183.JPG
  15. Offline

david kelly Dave Kelly

Composite cloth lightly coated in equilox stuck to the foot then built over with the remainder of the tub of equilox with some shredded composite cloth mixed in, (i cant find fibre glass here they obviously do sell it I just cant find it, not speaking Arabic makes that type of thing very difficult).
  16. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

Got any boat yards? Every marine supply I've ever seen has FG cloth for sale.

If you want to order chopped glass from USA try RAKA and tell Larry I sent ya. Awesome customer service. 2lbs of the chopped glass will last you a long time 'cause you only need a pinch. Also saves time because it is already chopped in ~1/4" lengths. Use about 1/2 teaspoon per oz. of adhesive.
  17. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Another idea is the black netting mesh that you put into sole pack I cut that into strips and use that as a matrix, adds good strenght to the job.
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  18. Offline

david kelly Dave Kelly

No boat yards around here unfortunately Tom i'm about a 800 miles from the sea in the midde of the desert :D , Il pick some up in Ireland when im home at xmas, will be the easiest because.....
    For me to order from RAKA would mean filling out a purchase request form which has to be signed by myself my stud manager that then gets sent to the purchasing department who leave it on their desk for three to four weeks due to a backlog, then eventually they contact RAKA for a quote, then type up a purchase order form including the price which gets sent back to me again to be signed and again signed my my stud manager and then gets sent to the general manger also for a signature, at this point the general manager usually complains that the product is too dear and i'm spending too much money and asks purchasing to source cheaper, this generally takes another four weeks and is usually sourced in the furthest possible part of the world, at which stage I get another new purchase order for myself and the stud manager to sign which then again goes to the general manager where it sits on his desk until he decides he is willing to write and post a cheque to the company, the cheque takes ten to twenty days to arrive at the company, said company dispatches the product asap, by sea as our manager has refused to pay the high costs of air mail so the product takes at least 12 weeks to arrive.......Its hard to believe I work for a Saudi prince multi-billionaire:eek:

I have no mesh either David I ordered ten rolls in July and I'm still waiting. But thats handy to know for the future (y)
  19. Offline

Kim Turner Master of my own domain

Sounds like the Police Dept. purchasing
  20. Offline

david kelly Dave Kelly

You understand the torment so Kim