Squashed Heels

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Susan Holden, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Offline

Travis Morgan Copenhagen. You can see it in my smile!

WTH happened?
  2. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

From the look of it, I'd be trimming the heels back as much as possible, using a rolled or rockered toe or the like, and adding wedged frog support. How much wedge would depend on what I had after the trim. And while I wouldn't necessarily be trimming between the toe pillars much from the bottom , I would be backing up the toe from the top to get rid of as much of the lower dorsal wall distortion as I could. ymmv
  3. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

....... shod the toe crack horse over a period of time; shoeing the perimeter of the foot. Doing that on a WB is a no-no. Because in most WBs they will grow an extended toe wall or stratum externum. Then he was instructed to get the toe back and then dubbed the crap out of the dorsal wall and walla! the egg cracked to the hairline. Horse was non-wieght bearing at inspection and the crack would open up 3/8s of an inch at breakover after foot was blocked.

The "groovy" equine was attended to by a promienit vet clinic in the "Upper" Northeast for sidebone. But good trimming and foot mechanics were thrown out the window for fad foot manipulation. The attending professionals said, " The equine could NEVER be ridden again!". So as the fairy tale goes, the equine gains a second at Devon last year........ in plain, slippered heeled , steel shoes......no "groovy" manipulations....

edited by K
  4. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

See my post above.... sorry.:eek:

edited by k -flaming
  5. Offline

jack mac Guest

Eric the reason I ask of clarity is so their is no confusion in what is being implied. This starting statement on David's pic post. The hoof capsule is a mirror image of the forces placed on it. Is a statement lacking & implies in every case. Which is not a complete truth. Excessive growth as you find in neglect can not be considered cause from forces placed on it. The term cause by scientific definition needing to be at lest a proven 50% contributing factor in the resulted outcome. The only exception is the anti smoking zealots that seem to be able to get away with saying smoking causes cancer. When the W.H.O own churched up figures state smoking is only a 2% "contributing factor" in all lung cancers. There for smoking doesn't cause cancer it only can contribute. Sorry to side track with the smoking its just an examples of how persons can make absolute statements of cause that are not correct.
  6. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Unless im missing something we are in agreement?
  7. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Mate you cant educate .....! so you i will leave alone.

edit-k
  8. Offline

travis dupree reed Active Member

I will take more pics of the feet this week ..before and after.. I just haven't gained much head way on this one...he is going sound according to owner ..but we all know sound to some may not be sound to us.. I have got them under saddle and watched...he seemed ok but a bit short stride.. open for any and all ideas..
  9. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

Not really.... learned a long time ago when trying to obtain optimal conformation from technology and mixing it with farriery; "two wrongs in a horse makes a right". That includes shoeing to X-Ray...................o_O
  10. Offline

david a hall Moderator

I dont shoe to technology. I have a van and a rasp :D
  11. Offline

jack mac Guest

The top pic. The cracks looks to be the wall rasped back to expose a keratoma.?
  12. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

Yeeeeeppppp! JacMO, your a genius:ROFLMAO:
  13. Offline

jack mac Guest

And the one below it. The horse has had a torn suspensory ligament & has a slight bow in its tendon. The feet are boxed & contracted which caused the leg injury not the other way round. The contraction & boxing of the feet being man made.
  14. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

" I am poking sticks into fire ant beds" today, MATE! It's raining and i am bored..........:p
  15. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

Don't have to JacMO, to set in my ways as are YOU!
  16. Offline

jack mac Guest

0893e0dc-bdca-4189-a0fc-20d545cf4aa5_thumb.jpeg
  17. Offline

jack mac Guest

I did a 7 year apprenticeship the same as my brother. What Have You done ?
  18. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

Nothing , "I just play farrier on the world wide web" because " I slept at a Holiday Inn Express" just one time "long, long ago and far, far away"....
  19. Offline

jack mac Guest

Farrier Rodeo Rules No low blows unless you have copped one your self below the belt in the thread by that person .You owe Rick an apology.
  20. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

Assuming that photo is of your work, did you not also shoe the perimeter of the hoof after you dressed away any distortion? If not, what was your protocol?
    The stratum externum???? When you consider that the stratum externum/tectorium which arises from the perioplic epidermis, is only a few millimeters thick and most generally does not extend more than half way down the hoof wall, it is difficult to understand how that structure grows into an extended toe wall. The Stratum Medium OTOH, could and would be able to grow an extended toe wall, either in a straight dorsal wall orientation or with a flare at its distal dorsal end. And that truism is seen in all breeds, regardless of discipline.
    IOW, he used an incorrect [for that situation] protocol.

Where is the toe dubbing? ie: the dorsal wall appears to have a straight line from the coronary band to its distal end rather than the characteristic, for lack of a better word, dubbing