Squashed Heels

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Susan Holden, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

Thanks JacMO! I need a friend like you! Everybody needs a swift "kick in the NADS" every once in a while. Sometimes I over do it; my assiociate can attest. We have a standing rule: If he or I hit ourselves in the knee with the driving hammers while nailing up, "a swift kick in the NADS" stops the knee pain.
    The last time I kicked him in the NADS I over did it, I think............

IMG00182-20110929-1036.jpg
  2. Offline

jack mac Guest

Jay you need to grow up lol
  3. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

WHY? Are you being "My Mum" again? GIFs 017.gif
  4. Offline

Susan Holden Member

So I have Jack's thoughts about Sam's trimmed feet, what are others?
  5. Offline

Susan Holden Member

Ok these are the feet we have to deal with. I know Jack's thoughts on what I should do and would like others thoughts on his and their own ideas. Also constructive comments on where I am letting things down with the trimming would be appreciated.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  6. Offline

Susan Holden Member

7. Offline

Travis Morgan Copenhagen. You can see it in my smile!

How about using equipack pour in to take pressure off the heels?
  8. Offline

Susan Holden Member

That to is a possibility Travis.
    I'm just heading out now, I might see if I can get some video, with and without boots. maybe that will help us come up with a plan.
  9. Offline

Eric Russell Active Member

Were they doing better in shoes? The shape of the foot could certainly use some tending to.
  10. Offline

Susan Holden Member

Have a look at these Eric. On the first page you have now and pics from a year ago. Lameness wise we have had ups and down in both shoes and boots. the heels have always been a problem. Just recently I would say thay have deteriorated a bit more and per Tom's reasoning I would say that has a fair bit to do with the moisture the boots creating. I think we are looking for a good glue on option.
    some options presented so far- morrison roller with cuff, bar shoe, heart bar, wedge pads and just a plain shoe. Chatting with Dave Murray the other day and he also suggested epona's. So a lot of suggestions we just need to sort out the best option. As soon as my camera operator can come back will try and get some video of him walking.
    http://s446.photobucket.com/albums/qq185/gluey33/Sam/
  11. Offline

jack mac Guest

Susan Have you ever had the horse Knee's X-rayed? & how old is this horse ?
    Susan anther thing I would ask. Could you Pick the horses foot up & tap the point of the toe with a light hammer in the area where a clip would sit if he had a toe clipped shoe on & tell me if he flinches.On a scale of (1 to 5) (1) being he really flinches (5) being hardly no response.
    You mentioned he like to stand facing down hill & you had a feeling it gives him some form of relief?. Standing facing down hill is what a lot of horses with crook knees choose to do to get relief & horses with crook knees tend to want to land toe first.
  12. Offline

Susan Holden Member

Jack i've never felt the need to xray the knees as he blocks out sound on the feet. I think it would be bery hard to get a point specific pain reaction at the toe clip as he is quite sensitive to any concussion, hence why we feel the need to find a glue on solution. With hoof testers a very firm pressure on the sole will get a reaction. No reaction on the frog. Give me a little while I've got some video and a couple more lateral pics to put up.
  13. Offline

jack mac Guest

That's the answer I wanted in the First place. Sensitivity to any concussion. Both knees on your horse do show signs of arthritis.
    All that should be done at this stage on this horse is a plane shoe with a pad & Stockholm tar poured in under it. What have you been feeding the horse at present? & What had you feed the horse when it first started showing signs of sensitivity.?
  14. Offline

Eric Russell Active Member

I don't like that lateral toe quarter flare on both feet. I'd go with a nice heavy handmade shoe. Might even toe clip it. Horses and there feet seem to do very well with a chunk of steel on the bottom.
  15. Offline

Susan Holden Member

16. Offline

jack mac Guest

Susan its blatantly obviously to me that what you have feed this horse has caused prolonged mild metabolic disturbance to take place. I don't have to be a mind reader to figure out that you have been feeding this horse. A cheap pellet form feed product which commonly litters the market with all the claims on the bag of high crude protein & all the claims of fattening & keeping condition on your horse .Sadly the makers of such feed stocks don't tell you what the end result of feeding their product produces. Cheap pellet feeds like the one I suspect you have feed. Usually contain soy meal & wheat as it is cheap to obtain for the production of cheap manufacture of feed pellets . Both should not be feed to horses. Both soy meal & wheat are enzyme depleting. Which is taxing on the pancreas. The pancreas being a member of two systems the digestion & the endocrine. Exocrine cells of the pancreas act on fats proteins & starches breaking down theses substances in to smaller particles. The pancreas plays an equally important role in the endocrine system because it produces insulin & glucagon. With out boring you or others further as David Hall claims I do. With topic of Hormone production by select cells islets of Langerhans which include Alpha Beta & Delta cells & the required harmony of there workings . I will simply say If your feeding a brand of feed Pellet containing Soy or Wheat. Stop feeding it. No trimming or shoeing will improve this horse to a favourable result till you do so .
  17. Offline

Susan Holden Member

Got any links to articles on that Jack? The majority of his diet is lucerne hay and barley straw. If anything was a problem I would guess it was an excess of sugar in the straw. Know of any companies that will test for NSC do you?
  18. Offline

jack mac Guest

wh
    What is making up the minority.? I don't Know of any article per say . Teachings on pancreas function & the roll it plays can be found at any good University.
  19. Offline

jack mac Guest

Susan It seems from your last post that the only information your wanting to render is that to which is evasive & incomplete. From that I can only conclude that your not really interested in Help . Opting for stumbling on to some form of a DIY fix . This horse being one of those projects . Best of luck with your DIY project. My Times to valuable to be Dicked around. Others might like to be.
    CHOW .
  20. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

TRUE navicular disease and a possible collateral problem(6 ligaments) Sam is exibiting. Thanks JacMO!