Strangles outbreak in a barn I go to.

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by George Spear, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Offline

Thomas Opinionated and I know it

If you look at the link I provided earlier it explains what bastard strangles is. But to make it really easy:

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Offline

If you are attending at a yard known to have strangles then you put on a paper boiler suit and rubber apron and pull on rubber foot covers and over all your outer wear.

They should have disenfectent footbaths and sprays and virkon is the bio-security disenfectent of choice for streptococcus equi.

You can and should also spray down your apron with virkon. Indeed I'd have said that it ought to be done routinely anyway when you move from one yard to another.

I mentioned in my first post on this thread that here we get "warnings" at early stage and this is example:
    :[IMG]
  3. Offline

Like I said ... over here there isn't a vaccination licenced and because the ones you have fail on efficacy. So in effect by your standards we're all morons!

However what it does mean is that if we want to be responsible and manage properly rather than behaving moronically, that we have to be a lot more aware of the risks of strangles: what it is, what it does, how to manage the risk and consequences and hence we're a heck of a lot more rigourous with regard to quarantine, handling, contact and bio-security generally.

It's only since I started visiting internet forums that I came to appreciate how negligent so many folks are and with total disregard for quarantine and bio-security.
  4. Offline

George Spear Member

I think I will wait until the all clear is given. Would you still disinfect for a period of time even after the all clear?
  5. Offline

For a brief moment I forgot what an obnoxious twat you were! You're showing your ignorance again! You really shouldn't let your mind wonder, it's too little to be let out by itself!

You have delusions of adequacy! Do you ever wonder what life would be like if you'd had enough oxygen at birth?
  6. Offline

Personally speaking I'd want to ensure they'd had all clear with 3 nasopharyngeal swabs and I'm of the view that disenfecting ought to be routine when moving from one yard to another in any event.

The last thing you ever need is for anyone to think you're bringing them contagious disease. Make a show of spraying your apron and disenfecting as you leave somewhere and it's never going to do your reputation any harm.
  7. Offline

WTF are you going on about. Or to put it another way, if you're trying to make a point or even make sense then as usual you're not and you don't!
    I doubt it! But hey why break the habit of a lifetime!
  8. Offline

dana fenn It's complicated . . . .

sorry Guys . . . i did miss the link. i'm packing up a household to move out of state in 12 days and obviously was in too much of a hurry.
  9. Offline

No problem.... I presumed that. Just ignore JackMac's stupid rantings about me being condescending ....... That wasn't even in my mind and all forum readers know he could be dangerous if he tried to use his!
  10. Offline

Karen Fletcher Active Member

Hey, I'm a virkon user too.
  11. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Jack I often clean my gear, it was the dont play with matches bit that made me smile.
  12. Offline

ray steele Administrator

George,

I think that's a smart decision on your part, as to the later disinfecting ,i guess that would be your call but it sure wouldn't hurt anything and would be a good precaution.

regards

Ray Steele
  13. Offline

George Spear Member

State Vets office says stay away.

Hello George Spear.

Dr. Hoenig forwarded your e mail to me. We appreciate your interest and concern for limiting the spread of strangles.
    The American Association of Equine Practitioners has guidelines for biosecurity in and infectious disease outbreak, and also recommendations on how to deal with specifically with Strep equi.

I think your suggestion that you avoid going to Avalon Meadows for a while is great. After a period of no new cases, we can determine how long you should avoid contact with their horses. If you absolutely had to go on the property to see a horse, if you went there last call of the day (or preferably of the week!) Disinfected all your equipment and then your clothes and self, and avoided being around other horses for a few days, it would probably be OK.

Yours truly,
    Beth

Beth McEvoy DVM
    Assistant State Veterinarian
    Maine Department of Agriculture
    Division of Animal and Plant Health
    28 State House Station Augusta Me 04333
    207-215-0948 elizabeth.o.mcevoy@maine.gov