The assosciated back pain

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by saucedo4, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Offline

saucedo4 New Member

Im a female, that is soon leaving to train at Oklahoma's State Horshoeing School. I've heard a LOT about the associated back pain, with working as a farrier.
    On a scale of tattoo to surgery; how bad really is it? (I have a medium pain tolerence)
    And how long does it last, until your muscles get used to being bent over?
    Do you have any tips on helping the pain, or back strengthening excersices?
  2. Offline

AnthonyLawrence Active Member

"It depends"

Never had a tat and the only surgery was an AC re-construction. Different pain altogether.

When I started it just hurt everywhere. But it wasn't unlike when I first started riding track... actually that was worse....and I was used to riding 5 jumpers a day. The pain in my thighs is something I will never forget. I trained martial arts pretty seriously once upon a time.. I'd say it was pretty close to that sort of pain... if you're serious about it.

But I digress...

Core muscle strength is the key... Swiss ball work etc. With core strength you will be fine, if you can tolerate a bit.

Also, I design my routine so I am not bent over too long at a stretch. It might take me 5 min longer per job, but I make sure I get up to go to the anvil often enough that my back gets a break. Also, learn to walk away from yang-yangs quick smart. In the long run, the risk to your health just ain't worth it.

At 51, it's served me well, no major problems and I feel like I could go on for years yet... and I'm just a little fella 5'7" and 70kg.
  3. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

Start a stretching routine, and be diligent with it. Consider yourself an athlete. Keep your core strong, as Anthony suggests. Pain isn't so bad once you get used to it. I feel the worst when I get up in the AM, then get better as the day goes on. :) I find I have more pain in my elbows than my back. Just for reference, I'm 62, 5'9", 192 pounds.

Regards
  4. Offline

Kim Turner Master of my own domain

It took a little while and enough horses that it is now not so bad. I have more issues with elbow/wrist than back. I do like Anthony says and stretch plus I work at a pace where I can stretch between horses. On long days I do feel it some in my lower back and obliques. Being a rider and runner I didn't feel it as bad in my thighs.

I'm 32, 5'1, 137lbs
  5. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

I seem to hurt everywhere, but most of it works out? Wrist on my knife ha
    nd has most pain...6'2" 215 , knees creak alot but stretching is foremost important to a tall guy like me. But on the plus side, no oone guesses my age? I am 59, been shoeing for 35 yrs and I get told I dont look 50?:)
  6. Offline

Platerforge Guest

wait until you are 49 yrs old; 5'4" and 150lbs. :ROFLMAO:
  7. Offline

Platerforge Guest

I have been shoeing for 22 yrs and a woman........you must take up ballet if you want to continue in this job. I have over 10 yrs of classical ballet training.
  8. Offline

Zach's Horseshoeing Member

Im 6' 6" tall and have been shoeing for 11 years and thankfully have never experienced any back pain

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  9. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

Being tall it is all in the knees, how low you can get without bending too much with the back...
  10. Offline

Kim Turner Master of my own domain

I shall never be that...............

at least the 5'4 part
  11. Offline

gary evans old and slow

Watch your posture when you're at the horse and don't try to do too many in a day and you should be ok.
  12. Offline

George Spear Member

I agree with Linda you must take up ballet. Although I do not have any classical training I begin each day with 30 minutes of ballet exercises. I have installed a full wall of mirrors and a bar and since I took up ballet my back does not bother me anymore. Most of the guys on here do ballet to stay fit but few are secure enough in their masculinity to admit it on a public forum.

Here is a link with a few of the exercises I do each morning.
    View: http://youtu.be/zcT0UVBL1sw
  13. Offline

travis dupree reed Active Member

I'm kinda of the thinking if your worried anointed pain and have not even started you may wanna rethink this trade.. a real life over view of this trade is not at all glamorous... Short course 101.. its a thankless job..its damn hard to make it in this trade ..to make it your gonna hurt..ur gonna work long and late hours ... At times your gonna do to many a day..starting ur gonna get kicked beat up. Snatched on..and ur whole body will be sore at times and you will still be expected to show up .. its a long row to hoe and if the damn money was not so good many would fond other work..but it get in ur blood and u love pr and you better love it because it don't easy..
  14. Offline

Shane Wood Oklahoma

My eyes MY EYES!!!! I can't gouge out my minds eye!!!! Oh the pain and agony!!! :eek::confused: :sick:
  15. Offline

Cody Gilreath Member

WTF, plum nasty!

Cody Gilreath, CF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  16. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

Too Damned Funny!!!!! I could see Smitty doin that !!! Just kiddin Smitty!!!:rolleyes:
  17. Offline

Platerforge Guest

I do much better than that.......I dance on Point to. for those who don't know what that is. Toe-shoes! (y) ....don't you guys:eek: say it:rolleyes:
  18. Offline

George Spear Member

I have been wearing my Tutu lately to shoe horses. Quite comfortable and if the horse spooks and I quickly need to twirl away I am dressed appropriately.
  19. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

George, you've lost weight and gained a few tats. Its a nice look........... And, your Natural Balance is as good as ever :)
  20. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

As every one is giving their age and weight, I'm 28, 6'2", 180lbs, 20" arms, six pack abbs, thick curly hair.
    Other pain to prepare for is chronic broken feet, deep lacerations, broken ribs, deep bruising, etc.
    I actually do have six pack abbs, they're just sorta hiding behind the keg.