the most you have done in a day

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by ray tyron, May 2, 2013.

1. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

We work as a team most times, but at 2nd year going into 3rd year they are more than caplable
  2. Offline

AnthonyLawrence Active Member

That sounds about right for me too.

I think I'd baulk at 10 hot sets in a day though.

Mind you there is shoeing and then there is shoeing. I spend a couple of days with a trainer friend of mine who employs two different farriers. One does a lovely job, spends about as much time as me. The other, I watched resetting in about 15minutes and his work was as rough as a pig's breakfast; no effort to do a proper job at all. Could do 10 like that standing on my ear.
  3. Offline

gary evans old and slow

I just wish I could stand on my ear! :ROFLMAO:
  4. Offline

40 trims @ $40 is $1,600 per day with few overheads.

$8k a week

$384k a year with 4 weeks off.

OK half that.... $20 a head = $162k p/a

All part time?

Hmmmm
  5. Offline

Anthony i know a lad that often has 5 set done before the ten o clock tea break and i will bet you wont see better plating
  6. Offline

LOL It's a talent all Aussies have :)
  7. Offline

Yeah no worries, ali plates on the stall jack, line 'em up and whack away... Most platers have/could do similar, but I wouldn't want to go like that all day every day.
  8. Offline

I dont think so
  9. Offline

gary evans old and slow

I tried it late one saturday night... didn't go well!
    :)
  10. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

I think our common language divides us. What does 'dress for hot/cold fitting' mean?
    How about 'should be able for me to hammer clench' mean?
    What is the difference between 'dress for hot fitting' and 'dress for cold fitting'?
  11. Offline

I don't understand what you mean. :(
  12. Offline

10 sets a day at my rates would equal between ~$6000 and $8500/ week or ~$315,000/year, and that includes 7 weeks of vacation. I've never seen that number in my life. And now, as I enter the twilight of my career, its as likely that I will see that number as it is that I will win the Irish lottery. Truth is, I find that farriers, especially when talking with/to other farriers, have a penchant for inflating numbers, whether that is the number of horses in their custom, the number they shoe or trim in a day, or how much they charge and earn. It seems as though farriers have all somehow kissed the Blarney Stone even if they've never traveled more than 50 miles from their home. ;)
  13. Offline

You have never known anybody to be shoeing 10 sets a day?
  14. Offline

Josh Ramsey Member

That's only $140 a set. . .surely you must be getting more than that on the Chicago
    area.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  15. Offline

Yes, I've known several, myself included. But not every day and definitely not year in and year out. Further, it is my experience, that those who routinely engage in that practice don't exhibit the same quality in the last few sets as they do in the first several sets. Especially when they do that every day. One exception to my observation is for those iron hangers whose first job is as poor as their last job. And, even at that, the work generally goes from poor to piss poor.
  16. Offline

True, but much of my work is still outside the Chicago area.
  17. Offline

First you tell me its possible, now you don't think so. Which is it?

Not all to a good job but some do a very good job. I work at the track I see it.

I prefer not to go that pace but can do if under the pump.
  18. Offline

travis dupree reed Active Member

Smitty sure knows a lot of millionaires .. we know he knows of 3 guys so far that are doing 300k plus a year ..someone do the math on that of how many horse those three guys would cycle thru in a year...then we know there is a lot of farriers in smittys area he said like 20 easent it..so sprinkle in some horses for those guys...cause I'm wondering if theres that many horse in the whole damn place..lol..them dudes are pumping thru some ponys..
  19. Offline

ray tyron Member

All right we have herd how many can be done,how many we think is a reasonable amount.and a few have posted what they are doing lately .what do you think you averige a day over a hole year. Last year was so bad here im embarist to post it on here but evan in my best years when things were good i dought i avriged more then three a day for the hole year.

Ps .argument above is getting silly i cant find were anyone said they were doing those kind of noumbers seven days a week
  20. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

So this thread came to mind today.
    Went to a big cattle ranch today where I've been shoeing for twenty years. The guy had said they would only be using one horse and just trim the other two. He was out somewhere and got back as I was starting to pack up. We were talking about how the horses were and realized I had shod the wrong one. We laughed and I said I'd just do the other one for him, but he insisted that he'd pay so I countered that I wouldn't charge for the trim on the third horse. He was happy. I only lost five minuets of my labor. Everybody happy.