the most you have done in a day

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by ray tyron, May 2, 2013.

1. Offline

Mikel Dawson Active Member

Yesterday I trimmed eight and 4 shoes on one (sliders on the back). All I wanted to do.
  2. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

Everytime I run into another Hoofcare Provider they ask me , "How many did you do today?" I reply, most likely one less than you.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

Another thing about trimming horses fast.
    A couple years before I even thought of getting into this, we called a guy out to trim my girl's horse. I was behind the house working on some project and someone said that the Farrier was here. I thought that I'd like to see what this guy did, so I finished one little thing I was working on, just took a couple minutes. I went out front and he was gone, with a fair amount of my money. I thought at the time a fellow could get by doing that.
  4. Offline

chris bunting Well-Known Member

seems to me a lot dont like hard work and are obsessed with money rather than shoeing horses
  5. Offline

Justin Decker Active Member

If your not worried about the money Chris, just go do 20 a day for free.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. Offline

Smitty, do you ever work by yourself?
  7. Offline

Platerforge Guest

happens at track all the time..........
  8. Offline

That's nobodies fault but your's.
  9. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

Saw an AD about "T Rex" clinchers a few years ago; "These new clinchers did 17 yesterday". Have seen so called "top" farriers in this country with "crews" blow into barns and do 25 and more. Did 14 sets on a Thanksgiving Day, almost 30 years ago at a Hack Line barn in North Georgia. Me and Palmer Wilson got under 28 at the Biltmore before an FEI selection Endurance Race in 2001 for the USA Team.
    Now, 5 is a good day:cool:
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  10. Offline

brian robertson Active Member

AMEN Bro.Jaye!
    Personally, I prefer the "how much?" over "how many?" are far as the question goes...
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  11. Offline

Ryan Williams Member

I really love what I get to do for a living but at the same time I don't feel it necessary to go out and do a totally exorbitant amount of horses on any given day. I do calculate finances and tend to pay more attention to how much I make rather than how many I work on. An average "good job" for my area is working in a lumber mill which pays about $135 per day before taxes. So today when I go out and work on the measly 5 full sets I have, which includes a show horse, a couple trail horses, and two foundered horses, the fact that I'll make the millworker's weekly wages in a day does make me feel better about only doing 5 head. :rolleyes:
  12. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

Yes, one of the hardest days on my own 36 most of them were sets
    the rest were fronts and dress hinds
  13. Offline

I think your right Chris
  14. Offline

Zouhair Benjabbour Zou

Travis, remember that the US is a massive place compared to the UK, so things that seems to you outlandish are simple facts.
    A few years back I worked for a farrier in the UK who was employing 5 farriers + apprentices. Each farrier will do at least 5 sets a day or equivalent in trims (3trims for a set) plus whatever work the apprentices do. you do the maths!! By the way, 99% of the work was within a 20 miles radius. and just in case you asked how many farriers are around I checked the register's website and there is 88 farriers in this 20 miles ;).
  15. Offline

chris bunting Well-Known Member

the shoeing market in the UK is very competitive , i charge a little more than others and a six figure turnover for a lot of farriers is nothing unusual , probably we have more grunt in us over here
  16. Offline

So that's 5 sets a day or 15 trims per man. Sounds just like what most of us are saying.

I don't even have any customers within 20 miles of my house.
  17. Offline

Chris I know a guy that works 12-14 hrs a day 6-7 days a week and has all his life. His children don't speak to him and he rarely sees his grandchildren, because he was never around. He's divorced and alone and will probably die that way.

There's more to life than working all the time. It's pretty nice to be able to go out and make a decent living and enjoy life.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • List
  18. Offline

At 20 min a set thats 12 hrs. I could do that one day a week and not have to worry about working the rest of the week.
  19. Offline

gary evans old and slow

That is some day's work for a single man - I'm ashamed to say I'm only capable of a quarter of that...
    :(
  20. Offline

Gary i remember it well the wife was in Spain on a holiday i went for one week and
    she and the kids stayed on for another week.

i started at seven and finished my last horse at 10 30
    i drove home and about 6 miles from my house i pulled in feeling tired
    when i woke up 4 hours had past.
    by the way the horses had to be shod most all were going away the next day