Thehappyhoof

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by KyleK, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Offline

KyleK Member

I dont know if you guys frequent youtube at all.. But there is one youtube channel "thehappyhoof" that teaches people how to trim their own horses.. Has anyone else come accross these videos? What are your thoughts? I personally cannot watch one for more than a minute or two.. One of the videos shows people that horses with "laminar wedge" and problems with flares in the toe should not have the flare rasped out (even a little) but she does say that it is benificial to rasp the hoof wall on an angle all the way to the white line using an HB2 pencil as a guide all the way from the toe, around the quarters to the heel.

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk
  2. Offline

Stef Member

I prefer Becky's Homestead for entertainment.
  3. Offline

KyleK Member

Honestly its like watching a horror flick am I right?

4. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

You've seen that Stef? She's a hoot. Unfortunately, some people will probably take her seriously. It's entertaining, but not educational. To the contrary, I think I lose IQ points every time I watch one of these kooks. The red flags for me is when these "experts" start measuring and talking about "The true_____ (fill in the blank)", and X inches here and Y inches there, along with "newly discovered", and "what most people don't understand". That stuff is invariably stated on all of these hoofflopbot videos;)

Regards
  5. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

I think Becky has missed her calling. She should be a professor at Yale or Harvard or perhaps a veterinarian.
  6. Offline

KyleK Member

Dont forget "what the profesionals dont understand is..."

7. Offline

david a hall Moderator

It's there complete lack of ability to handle the tools that I hate...... Oh and the complete lack of understanding of all things hoof related..
  8. Offline

Stef Member

Rick, the most horrific thing is when somebody in a YouTube video states something like "I'll show you how to trim/rasp/shoe your horse's feet - and then you will be able to do other peoples horses, too!" Big red flag coming up for me....
  9. Offline

KyleK Member

Its unfortunate... but at the same time there is money to be had fixing what they mess up :D
  10. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

What's even better in showing up at the end of a Teaching People To Trim Their Own Horses Clinic sponsored by the local Professional Barefooters (brilliant business tactic). A horse owner brought up a horse to have her job evaluated, was told it was a good trim but needed a bit more off over here and the attending Guru took a rasp and in the most uncoordinated manner, as David noted above, took a bit off a quarter. Now if you gathered the fillings she took off the hoof, and put them in your nose, you wouldn't have noticed they were in there. As she set the foot down she said "Now isn't that better!? Do you see the difference?!!!" Everyone of course went "Oooooh" and "Ahhhhhh". They were quite impressed.
    She also explained that about ten years ago she developed the method of Rounding The Edge Of The Wall At The Heel, and that others had written about it in their books and on their websites. At this point I could stand no more, so to ease the strain on my head and avoid it exploding, I raised my hand, and when called upon explained that I had been doing that for about twenty years and then asked "Do these people owe me money for my idea?" She explained it didn't work like that and asked who I was, so I said "I'm Bill Adams. I'm a local Barefoot Trimmer, and I also put shoes on the horses if they need them".
    It did get back to me that my intention of pissing off the local BUA gals worked.
  11. Offline

KyleK Member

Hah! Very good story Bill, fortunate enough for me I dont seem to encounter much in the way of barefoot trimmers out this way. I think there is maybe one in the area (that immediatly comes to mind) In fact, the only reason I really know about her is she has been mentioned by a few of her clients that I now shoe for! Normally the first appointment there is not much to take off.. and the frogs are badly diseased. Anyone else encounter this?

I enjoy the buzz words they all use.. and the claims that they themselved have come up with these ideas.. some of which can be found in the oldest of horeshoeing manuals.. I will have to dig up this one from '75 I picked up a while ago
  12. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

Kylek, check out Dollar and Wheatleys Handbook of Horseshoeing. 1897. Reprinted in 1993. Lots of barefoot stuff has been "discovered" since than, LOL.

Regards