this is happening today

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Tejun, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

Glad the vid was help to you
    might do some more if there is any interest;)
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  2. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Good stuff John what phone is that from?
  3. Offline

4. Offline

Tejun Member

Smitty if you have a video editor, you may consider subtitles, explaining what is happening. But the video is crystal clear and you can see exactly what is happening, but if I didn't have a background in shoe making, perhaps I could have been lost.
  5. Offline

Tejun Member

6:30 Am headed out to go build shoes with a guru :)
  6. Offline

Well how did you get on today Tejun with Uncle Bill?
  7. Offline

Tejun Member

I will let Bill give you the play-by-play but here's some pictures of the day. I learned a lot and can't wait to implement my new found wisdom. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366773773.296203.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366773790.128375.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366773816.962084.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366773837.061807.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366773856.095145.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366773872.445857.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366773901.695316.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366773913.495223.jpg
  8. Offline

ray tyron Member

Thats a gift thats hard to repay .good on you bill
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  9. Offline

Tejun Member

So this is a shoe before Bill Adams horseshoe making lecture clinic day, none of the nail holes worked. Obviously
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366846045.503139.jpg

This is after a day with Bill. All of the nail holes are not only angled pretty well they all work for a CH5.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366846108.152322.jpg
  10. Offline

Tejun Member

Here is a better pic of second shoe.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366847373.801086.jpg
  11. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

Remember the part where I told you if you want them to look as good as mine, you have to grind on it for a half hour. I teach him everything I know and he still doesn't know any thing.
    Seriously though, if you get that much improvement between shoes you'll be just fine.
  12. Offline

Tejun Member

I need one of them
    Fancy grinder wheels :)
  13. Offline

travis dupree reed Active Member

Very well done tejun much mo better .. and its great you will show ur work ..maybe it will encourage others as well..
  14. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

Train your eye to the white line when you are trimming and punching or creasing...feet are different and a nontraditional pattern of stamping or fullering for a crease depends on different issues...shape, then find where the nails truly need to go on that hoof and well, that's how I see it...
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

Well I learned a lot trying to show Tejun how I go about things. I learned that I can't really work, think, and talk at the same time. I did things like started building the hinds for the wrong foot (they were different lenghts), had a creaser head that wouldn't stay tight, and a drill bit that was a 64th too small so my taping went slower. I thought of a lot of things later, that I should have showed him.
    Couldn't have asked for a person more interested in learning though. Continually asking questions and actually listening to the answers, then asking more. Asked a bunch of intelligent questions even. He seemed to enjoy hanging out enough to stay around for ten hours or so, and seemed to enjoy my Sherman's and an IPA. Next time I'll have a couple morman Farriers out so they can keep an eye on each other and stay out of my cooler and smokes.
  16. Offline

Tejun your heels are SQUARE, you have nothing in your toe
    forget about the fullering at the moment and learn the basics
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  17. Offline

david kelly Dave Kelly

Good effort Tejun you can see the improvement but id agree with Smitty. As an apprentice I made maybe 100 toes then when I was getting them right I had to back over all the ones that were wrong and correct them. I then forged the heels on all those 100 lengths of steel and by the time I had 100 done they were right so went back over the first ones and so on. Its a lot easier when broken down and your hammer control and coordination at the anvil will have improved by the time ya get to more difficult fullering, nail holes and clipping,(my fullering is still rough :cry:) Working with the likes of Bill is obviously the best job but if ya can't do that regularly you can at least watch videos on you tube like the Craig Trinka and Chris Gregory ones I posted below before each time ya practice so its fresh in your mind. I also think if ya can get someone to make a and give you a length with just a toe bend, a toe bend and heel forged etc, each stage of the shoe broken down to look at and compare your own to its a huge help.

View: http://youtu.be/DVt89LCfeiA

View: http://youtu.be/BZNN9FwZOBc

http://youtu.be/TRBi2DxLeC0 Craig Trinka bumping a toe and forging and fullering
    http://youtu.be/JV2RzWSye9Y Craig Trinka pulling clips
  18. Offline

Platerforge Guest

YES!!!................PLEASE....!!!! Mr. Smitty;)
  19. Offline

only if you put some of your work up no excuses
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  20. Offline

Tejun Member

Hey Smitty,
    The nothing in your toe part, are you referring to when they take the bar cool the ends and put it vertical on the anvil face and smack it so the toe gets fatter? I am pretty sure that is what you mean, but just verifying.