this is happening today

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Tejun, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

Bill you need alot of improvement in shoe making,
    the lenth is to long for me
    the nail/finish is not so bad
    did not like the fit
    its good to see ya trying to help a lad(y)
  2. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

Ya John,
    That didn't come out to internet quality.
    The mare and her full brother, both have their off hind sloped and pointing laterally. She developed a locking stifle before she starting training. What I'm doing is putting a wide, swelled heel lateral, a lot of iron behind, and pointing the shoe a bit medial. Her stifle is doing fine and she is one of the top horses in whatever Eventing level she's in on the west coast here. I left the sole and frog all on as she lives in a rough hillside pasture and needs all the help she can get.
    That was a fun day. I started the hinds, 3/8 x 3/4 x 16" near side and 17' on the off side which gets an extra inch bumped into the heel. First thing I did was to get the shoes switched and had to straighten the longer one and work that heel. Too much talking to Tejun. I punched the nails to avoid the poor spots in the wall as the feet are rough.
    I'll probably come up with more excuses later, but I'm happy with how the mare's going and the shoes actually stay on. Her little brother gets 3/8 x 1" and I started putting that off hind shoe only on him for about a year before he started working, and he hasn't had the problems she has. He's for sale and has interested buyers at $50,000.
    I seem to have the function working, but much more to go. I'll have to get the brush out too.
  3. Offline

Bill i admire anybody that puts there work up
    now you can put more up and have people give there oppinions
    should you need feed back
    we all can improve in areas of the job
    nobody out there has all the answers
    keep posting
  4. Offline

travis dupree reed Active Member

Tejun I got real froggie today..it was nice and cool 85 deg today so try to make hind plan stamp with two deg heels... There fubar but I will nail them... IMAG0332.jpg IMAG0333.jpg
  5. Offline

travis dupree reed Active Member

Bill I really liked the length of the shoe ...holding foot up it looked long but once that foot is down I thought it suited that horse well for the job he does... I find it tuff to hit a happy med on horses that will will jump in grass one day and do Dressage test the next..I tend to shoe a jumper and a Dressage horse a bit diff from each other..but keep in mind I don't know shit from shinola ..lol...
  6. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. Offline

Tejun Member

hey guys been away camping all weekend in the coastal mountains, running around drunk and barefoot like my ancestors before me. yesterday was catch up because everybody and their mama had an emergency while I was gone. I will be posting what work on today. Going for orgasmic quality today, nothing less haha!
  8. Offline

ray tyron Member

No one told you your there to facillitete others time off your not alloude to partake. And put some shoes ;) on your a horse shoer for gods sake
  9. Offline

Tejun Member

I started with 14 1/4 inches and upset the tow until the bar was only 13.5 inches. Then moved onto heels.
    Nail holes are all working well. Still struggling with getting everything including the bars symmetrical. Oh and the heels look at the heels. Haha

Ps. This took awhile. I am about thirty heats from a five heat shoe.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367353283.117194.jpg
  10. Offline

what section are you useing?
  11. Offline

Tejun Member

the table, I really need to watch the video again, because it was bending all over the place on me towards the end I got the bending somewhat under control but it still did a bit, but I could feel the solidnessness of the hits.
  12. Offline

is that1 x 5/16
    you might be better going with 1 x 3/8 or 1 x 1/2
    your nail holes area bit fine
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  13. Offline

Kim Turner Master of my own domain

14. Offline

chris bunting Well-Known Member

?
  15. Offline

Tejun Member

Buying three eights by 1 inch steel ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367426224.755669.jpg
  16. Offline

have you any shoeings pics Tejun?
  17. Offline

Tejun Member

Oh boy here we go, please be gentle Smitty I'm fragile. Haha ;-).

First two pics are from the other day. Wish I would have left more heel support out back to be honest. The horse had those feet that were like a massive plate tons of toe run under heels.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367434375.823246.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367434396.505391.jpg

I don't remember who what where or why but this happened last week. I think the feet were really awful before I started all rippled up and grooves.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367434433.572157.jpg
  18. Offline

Tejun Member

I have a couple to do later around 4. So I will do before, afters, lateral, medial, anterior, posterior, and solar shots. Hopefully. New client so who knows what will happen.
  19. Offline

Tejun Member

Okay I didn't get all the promised angles but here is what I got. I was kind of in a time crunch they added more horses so I really couldn't concentrate on the picture thing.
    Here are the befores
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367459574.071149.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367459593.936923.jpg

And the afters

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367459628.570513.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367459644.737011.jpg
  20. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

Looks to me that the horse was begging for a [long] rolled toe or maybe even a rockered toe shoe. Heels look run forward and I think you could have brought them back more and then, if necessary, made op the difference with wedges and supplemental frog support. Just remember that a #2 wedge pad is not a 2 degree wedge pad. Also, try to take the photos with the horse standing with the cannon bone(s) vertical and on flat, hard, debris free ground. Another shoe to consider would be a self adjusting palmer angle shoe, aka: banana shoe/full roller motion shoe.

Why did you bevel the wall as you did in the first two photos? Also, there seems to be a lot of distortion in the lateral walls that needs to be better addressed, eg: those walls need to be further "gathered up".
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List