Tips n' Clips

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Ricky, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

I dont mind doing any of them
    but I tend to do bob, and cross p with concave
    and ball p with plain stamp and 3/4 fullered

but I do think there is nothing like a well forged and fitted clip
  2. Offline

Ricky New Member

Alright Fellas im back. Being that its a holiday I got a bit of time to get my own horses up to date.. back piddlin with this.

Smitty I started off using your method - burnt a lot less propane from the point that I got the horse trimmed to shoe shaped but hell I spent close to two hours dickin around trying to get these clips to work in my favour.
    Toe clip, not a problem but mate I can't for the life of me get these front hooves shod properly with hot quarter clips to save my life.

SO, I measure widest part of hoof, add give or take 1/8", measure center toe to heel, add again. Gives me a rough idea on the anvil as im used to cold shaping and trying not to irritate my horse too much as I continually over-beat my shoe into a distorted shape.
    Maybe I have my steel too hot but I am having a bugger of a time getting my toe radius set proper, but that aside, I open up the clips, shoe slides on beautifully. Start to angle them with the wall before burning, SOB doesnt slide on. What gives?! To get a good fit it seems I have to open up the shoe too wide and then do my first burn, cut and then close the shoe and burn again?! Obviously thats ludicrous but seriously.. what am I doing wrong??

I tried burning with the clips open, cutting in and then laying them down so the base dont pinch but ended up with a loose shoe and a short fuse.
    I fooled around for two hours, cut the damn clips off, shod the horse and went in to eat turkey in a kerfluffle.

Can anyone help me out here???
  3. Offline

Ricky pics would help to see what your about
  4. Offline

gary evans old and slow

My answer would be not to put quarter clips on the front, Ricky. In most cases, they don't need them. ..
  5. Offline

Ricky New Member

I hear ya Gary.. horse is a lami, need to keep that toe in check or he runs forward. Find I can keep em gathered up pretty good as long as I drive two nails (each side) back in heel-quarters. Need the practice with the quarter clips so figured hed be an alright candidate.

Not sure what ya want pictures of mate..

If you were to go out an shoe one like that today, would ya cut out for the clips before trying to burn? It slid on alright when I did that but the clips didnt "grab" the foot, more just slid back too far.. maybe I cut too much out...
    Appreciated fellas... Mentor's about as useful as tits on a bull... "you wanna play in the world series, it's a real simple trick. practice"
    No sense practicing if youre learnin the wrong way to do it!!!!!

Glad to have so much info available now though.. hard to sort through some days but really drives me to get better. Track is a hard business and I can't wait to get out of it..
  6. Offline

These are a pair of egg bars 1 1/4x 3/8
    but you get the idea with the clip fit owen4.jpg
  7. Offline

Ricky New Member

Theres a work of art.. what a fit mate..

Smitty ill post a couple pictures of how the shoeing turned out after I cut the clips - dont know if it helps but you can see where I cut in.
    Can you describe your fitting process?

Maybe i can describe better. To check fit you must put the shoe on the hoof... how can you put the shoe on if you have those clips "bent in" but not "cut in"? Thats why i wonder whether you just double burn straight onto the hoof or had to cut in, check fit, then do your double burn.
    any clearer?
  8. Offline

Ricky you just need fitting practice
    how to alter shoes ect