TWH Soring, Why?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by George Geist, May 19, 2012.

?

Should the Horse Protection Act be strengthened?

Yes 13 vote(s) 100.0%
No 0 vote(s) 0.0%
  1. Offline

Mary Ann RaySteeleDaveHallEricRussellTravisDupreeReed Fan

Fixed it.

It is a great day. The Vets were very much one of the groups whose silence and passive support on the matter of the stacks and chanis that stood in the way of getting meaninful change in the industry.

Their silence stood in the way.

As does the silence of every professional horsemans association (hint hint)
  2. Offline

dana fenn It's complicated . . . .

3. Offline

Travis Morgan Copenhagen. You can see it in my smile!

That bay in the back ain't fast enough to scatter it's own piles!
  4. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

Ah, yes. Outtakes from the reality series "The Douche Bags of Scumbag River".
  5. Offline

6. Offline

Thomas Opinionated and I know it

why thanks to her? she's only republishing a communication isn't she?
  7. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

Same stuff I got from other sources. But I appreciate Mr. George ;) republishing it here.
  8. Offline

Thomas Opinionated and I know it

she's not the source... she's just republishing a communication
  9. Offline

10. Offline

Justin Decker Active Member

It is proper to credit a legitimate source.
  11. Offline

How about crediting an illegitimate source?
  12. Offline

Now, Thomas, you shouldn't question that, just say, "Yes, Housemother"!
  13. Offline

Karen Fletcher Active Member

George, as always, sharing a good update.

QUOTE:An avid horsewoman from Michigan sent an email this week that said, in part, “What these creeps our don't think of is that as the pressure is on, we no longer purchase horses from Tenn., no longer patronize those TWH related businesses, no longer breed or buy semen down there, no longer travel there for TWH related business and many are moving to other breeds to have a healthy atmosphere for the children to show.

I think there's thousands of TWH out there, and good breeding will always be desired-not for the artificially made big lick, but for how well a horse gaits. As you know, some TWH need alot of practice to keep their gait, and others never need a reminder to stay in gait (even 4 beats).
    When you look at it, the big licks are a very small percentage of TWH's and riders. But within the Big Lick owners/riders/horses, I'm sure that at least 90% of them are practicing inhumane methods.

Funny, a TWH was known as having a low sweeping gait (walk, flat walk, running walk). Not a hit your knee into your jaw-gait.

QUOTE:The USDA’s stronger inspection regulations went into effect last Monday and some sense there could be a greater presence of inspectors, investigators and even state and federal prosecutors at the Celebration in August. There will also be a noticeable number of empty seats. Many owners and riders are avoiding the Shelbyville show and are in search of fast-growing groups like FOSH – Friends of Sound Horses.

I can't wait to see the Celebration this year, most likely what we'll see is empty Big Lick classes.
    Now they will have to change the TWH "Big lick horse emblem" to something closer to the real thing. I've always hated that emblem anyway, LOL
  14. Offline

I hope this is more than another tempest in a tea pot.
  15. Offline

travis dupree reed Active Member

It seems if they would drop back in the big lick class things may turn around for them...in other words try mimicking the old way of how the horse would go...in the last five or more years I have seen saddle breed farms grow in this area by leaps and bounds and ...my guess is due to the issues seen..
  16. Offline

'course rubber bands, shackling/shackles, pad stacks, heavy shoes, lead inserts, bands, pastern chains,etc is perfectly OK to get action/gait on/out of a Saddlebred............:rolleyes: All comes down to one's POV. Lets not forget those TB's that are asked to run so hard that they bleed from the lungs or break a leg or the like.......there are those that feel that events such as the Tevis Cup are cruel and unusual punishment.........or, this
    View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQLywWjJaKQ
    What I'm trying to point out is that once we start down that road, it gets to be a slippery slope rather quickly. And remember what is said about the road to Hell............(for those who don't know, its said to be paved with good intentions)
  17. Offline

hopefully when the new rules come out they will be more specific, and include some of those things. One can only hope.
  18. Offline

That was a good article. Thanks