TWH Soring, Why?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by George Geist, May 19, 2012.

?

Should the Horse Protection Act be strengthened?

Yes 13 vote(s) 100.0%
No 0 vote(s) 0.0%
  1. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

First time I've heard about aerodynamically designed shoes. Now I have something else to worry about in my shoe making - damn.

Anyone care to venture a guess as to the purpose of this one:

shoe20.jpg

How about this one:

shoe32.jpg

Regards
  2. Offline

Travis Morgan Copenhagen. You can see it in my smile!

Those two, and especially the first one are real head scratchers. How in hell does the hoof and the shoe meet on that one? Perhaps the old tard will enlighten us, since it's so obvious. I'd really like to know.
  3. Offline

Karen Fletcher Active Member

Due to popular demand, reopened.
  4. Offline

Clint Burrell Active Member

Years and miles are two different things, but a..... is a ..... reguardless.

Bet after a bit of explination it's a little more obvious, eh "sugar"?
  5. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

I'll take a stab at it. :) Lets suppose a really long footed hoof waver pitched his package and took most of the dorsal hoof wall when he did. Pad him back up, attach that shoe to whats left of the hoof and then fill the front with a PMMA of your choice. The vertical bars form the matrix around which the PMMA sets. Alternatively, its for a sperm whale and is meant to replace a portion of the sieve in its mouth that is used for straining plankton. :)

View attachment 898

Why sure.:rolleyes:
    Again, a long footed foot waver whose frog has no contact with the ground and for whom a live rubber frog prosthesis doesn't work. Ya' cut the pads such that the frog prosthesis can go up into the bottom of the hoof and make frog contact. Note the adjustable set screw at the tip of the frog plate. 'Course, that looks like a really good way to sore a horse too so maybe it could become part of the BLTWH shoer's arsenal. Then again, those guys don't use toe clips, so I guess its use is for non-TWH foot wavers.:eek:

View attachment 899
    Bein' all shiny and such they sure are purty. Maybe they're just supposed to be paper weights or door stops.
  6. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

Danny Ward showed a picture of a fancy shoe package he built for jumping horses. It was two shoes with some old Chevy valve springs welded between them. He said they worked great and the horse got over higher fences, but it took forever to quit bouncing after it came off the jump.
  7. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

This is why Mid-Westerners shouldn't enter into maritime subjects. Blue whales, Grays etc, are the ones with baleen, Sperm wales have teeth. Sheeesh.
  8. Offline

Musta' been a prototype for the Seattle Shoe........
  9. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

There were whaling ports around Seattle.
  10. Offline

Whiffle bat training is a big thing there, no? ;)
  11. Offline

jack mac Guest

Jack,I don't think you know what you are talking about.Earl I get that a lot.
    I hadn't seen pig $hit ether till I owned a pig. But that didn't stop me figuring out prier to owning a pig it would have a pungent smell & not be very pleasant.
    Not just you but everybody makes fun of things they have never been exposed to.
    Well Earl you best keep your pants on or we will be making a liar out of ya with that statement .
  12. Offline

just passin through Member

Jack,do you know how to use a hoof guage? Or do you feel that they are useless?
  13. Offline

Actually, Brian Robertson told me that the first one is for a club footed horse that has lost half his hoof.

Looks like someone was smart.

The other one is for a multi problematic horse that can't tolerate wedging.

That Brian is a wealth of knowledge!!!
  14. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

Hey, if you and jack want to talk about carpentry tools go to a carpentry forum.
  15. Offline

jack mac Guest

Lol I have never understood the logic of measuring an angle of the toe & sole. When it doesn't include the coronet or peddle bone. They are pretty bogus. But some people get mesmerised by them. Those being people that don't understand maths methods or geometry & have a very low IQ. I put them in the category of being as useful as an imaginary skyhook you can use to lift from.
  16. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

Spot on, Jack.
    When I realized mine had been hanging on the side of my shoeing box for a few years unused, it got tossed in the junk box be hind the truck seat where it's been for a few years.
  17. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

More or less they had alot of acreage to cover and crops were more likely what was on the owners mind as that is where the profit was? There were overseers that kept an eye on the help I am pretty sure...
  18. Offline

I've only said that quite a few times., LOL
  19. Offline

Mary Ann RaySteeleDaveHallEricRussellTravisDupreeReed Fan

http://news.yahoo.com/major-veterinary-groups-call-ban-action-devices-performance-150008032.html

Now people get it.

And I am sure some will be surprised to read that the professional Vet associations had not ever made such a strong statement about the TWH action devices. I think mostly cause they feared the non soring folks (trotters) would be swept up in the resulting regulation.

But finally folks see this is exactly what it will take - professional condemnation of the stacking and chaining of the TWH to put an end to this.

And I still believe it is gonna take more than just the Veterinary groups speaking up. Keep working on breed associations and professional horsemen associations and farrier associations and governing bodies to step into the ring!
  20. Offline

dana fenn It's complicated . . . .

the link isn't working, Mary Ann?