UK Toolmaker - Is a Brand Name important?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by UK Tool Maker, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Offline

ray steele Administrator

interesting as to how one reads things....i don t think that the poster was trying to do any advertising, nor did he/she, instead straight forward attempt to gather information about the marketplace, asked relative questions, and noted that they are in the tool manufacturing business, though not the farrier tool business ...at this time.

the fact that he/she did not try to sneak some unauthorized advertising in,something that Andre and or I automatically delete is being used as assumption of non legitimacy is in my mind pretty short sighted.

ray
  2. Offline

ray steele Administrator

perhaps you have more background info than the rest of us, but on the surface my reaction would be that you must be easily intimidated...........

what makes them in your words "not for real"

perhaps i m missing the signals,please clarify

ray
  3. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

Has anyone here ever approached a potential client and said you could shoe their horse in a quality fashion, but had to say that you couldn't give them your name?
    Chris and Ray, think this outfit is G. Gibson?
  4. Offline

Mikel Dawson Active Member

I agree with you Ray, but if I was wanting to get a product out I would post a site with info telling a little bit. Everyone knows today it is too easy to con people on the net. Just my opinion.
  5. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Mikel,

i think my eyes are going, could you point out where it was said that they had/have a line of farrier tools?

sore must be my eyes ,not my comprehension

ray
  6. Offline

david a hall Moderator

I think it's an interesting thread. Farriery is a a very exclusive market and most people outside it don't know how it works... Most manufactures are requested to make a product to a certain requirement and the requester has the marketing skill based on his name.....
    This is legitimate, I could tell exactly where this guy is from, andwho he made hammers for I even have one this guy has made, his request for privacy on this matter is fine by me.
  7. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Bill,

look at the original request............ have you ever heard of a person stating that he/she is capable of shoeing horses , and wondering if there was room/need for another horseshoer in the area, and along with the age old question, what s the going price, without the need for giving a name especially if you have been asked not to advertise by the owner/s of the arena that you in......

.as i read it, the original poster let it be known that they make tools, that they feel that they are capable of making hammers as the type used in this trade, and if the name of a well known farrier is necessary to make such hammers saleable or if saving 40 GBP would be more worthwhile... pretty simple and straight forward,at least to me.

Bill ,if hammers from this company ever come to market, you ll be able to put the star on your forehead with one, for xtra credit, does that website make them anymore or less legit? keep your head down

ray
  8. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

Ray I have in fact called Farriers in other areas that I was considering moving to (though I never did). I started each conversation with "Hello, my name is Bill Adams...."
    The web site looked legit, if it wasn't, it was a lot of work to con someone into buying high end masonry tools.
    I live my life with my head down, that's when I do my best work.
  9. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Bill,

good on you , you ll get a 3rd star if you wish....

but that s not the question that i asked!

Ray
  10. Offline

Michael Allen Champion spokesman for UK toolmaker!

I think a company like this should think outside the box and look at America. My name is available to be used for a hammer line. I am also available for public appearances as well. Our slogan can be "The ALLEN has a ring to it!"

A little research just on this site shows that I have done pretty well in the last 2 months contest So I feel as if I have proven myself, and I'm pretty sure the UK would love the American influence.
  11. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

Can't see that in the Farrier biz, but I see your point here on the forums.
  12. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

I'll buy a set. With a name like that you could expand into octagonal, 'L' shaped wrenches too.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. Offline

I have ideas for hammers and flatters. Flatters will have an etched likeness of whomever you like on the striking end To improve accuracy and I dream of a 3lb hammer with a wide face called little sledgy......let me think on some other hammer ideas. This is going to be great. I can see an early retirement around the corner...
  14. Offline

ray steele Administrator

would the above be advertising or pre advertising?

ray
  15. Offline

Ray more like pre marketing. I was going to tell you it would be best/cheapest /safest not to ask those question, but I don't want to sound threatening.
  16. Offline

Mikel Dawson Active Member

They said they were tool makers. So give us some insight on their ability to make tools. I never said they did farrier tools.
  17. Offline

chris bunting Well-Known Member

im just up the road in Thackley , shall have to pop in 1 day
  18. Offline

UK Tool Maker New Member

WOW! Firstly, thanks for the constructive replies (those that have been 'Constructive'). Surely, If I'd wanted to sell product directly, I'd have put a link on straight away, and hoped the moderators missed it for long enough to garner some sales. It's not what I'm After. I even removed any link to my Company after a private conversation with Ray to prove this. Thanks Ray for shedding some light for the dubious members, I'll take it a little further and say I full apreciate what Ray is doing by monitoring the forum so well, and finding out peoples intentions. If he didnt, you'd soon have a board full of adverts from Mandy Zhou, selling Oakleys etc..

We are most definately a UK company, and if any of you would like to test my knowledge of the UK, then go ahead. I thought I had worded my opening comment well enough to give an insight as to what we do, without naming any particular brand of tool. If you read the post properly, you'd realise why we dont have a 'Brand' of farrier tools, and why my questions are so relevant in the first place.

Chris, my words about safer/cheaper etc were not meant to intimidate or threaten, more to protect you from any possible grief, legal or otherwise, from a manufacturer you may 'Guess' was our client. If you were to state factually on any forum that you knew who it was, and that it was quality that was a problem, it could impact their sales, and as such, you'd be liable. You'd also be liable for deformation from the manufacturer, unless you had the facts to prove the quality issue. Just because you heard it on the grapevine doesnt mean its true. So far you've been wrong on most of what you said, so I think the advice stands.

I've used forums for research for a number of years, and despite its open/friendly nature, legal arguements are rife, so I pick my words carefully, and avoid making statements I can't substantiate. I'm not sure what's happened before now to make you so sceptical about a legitimate request for information, but I hope the rest of the Farrier world are a little more welcoming!

We have begun contacting Farriers of a level of success, but I won't be using their names in any posts. Again, I'm here to learn, not sell/promote ourselves, or those we work with.

Micheal Allen, we were about to send you some information, but under your name is says 'not so well known'??, (y) but I do like your keys....
  19. Offline

UK Tool Maker New Member

Not without an invite!! (y)
    Can you call at Birstall and fetch us some donughts/starbucks while your passing? Thackley?? Seems youve got stronger links with Pakistan that we do!
  20. Offline

gary evans old and slow

For what it's worth, I don't favor tools bearing farrier's names over those bearing a manufacturer's name I just look for a good quality tool for a fair price.
    Don't buy many hammers though, as a good quality one will last a career, but rasps! Do you make those? ??
    :)