UK Toolmaker - Is a Brand Name important?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by UK Tool Maker, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Offline

ray steele Administrator

2. Offline

ray steele Administrator

3. Offline

ray steele Administrator

4. Offline

ray steele Administrator

I stand by my exclamation in post 16 of this thread

you gotta be shittin me mon!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Offline

Michael Allen Champion spokesman for UK toolmaker!

UK toolmaker! I have changed the entry. Let's get this party started!
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. Offline

ray steele Administrator

to think, we ll all be able to say and reminisce, "we knew Michael when he was " not so well known" or words to that effect"

what a flatter..head

Ray
  7. Offline

UK Tool Maker New Member

Not yet, but its possible. again though, were talking a long time to develop with a Farrier, or on our own, I wouldnt hold out for ours just yet. We have worked with companies that manufacture some of the worlds best rasps, including one who had a university looking into the best shaped tooth form for effective cutting, at a large cost! So its not something we'd take on lightly. Are you talking about steel rasps, or ones for the horses feet? we did do some speculative work for a company that makes hoof picks/knives, but decided it was far too specific to gear up for, althogh again, we know someone who can!

Thanks for your feedback guys, I hope at some point what you have told me comes back to benefit you in some way later down the line.
  8. Offline

Mikel Dawson Active Member

What might give you some insight is to get one of your design dudes to get out with a farrier, look at his hammers and what he does, spend some time in the shop and get a feel for what we like and use. Might be worth more than internet.
  9. Offline

gary evans old and slow

Foot trimming rasps - it's by far a farrier's biggest turnover in tools.
    Most farriers would agree that they would use a new one every day, if they could afford it but most use a new one each week or so and at fifteen to twenty quid plus vat each it adds up.
  10. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Mikel,

you are correct, you never said that they did farrier tools, I was incorrect.

ray
  11. Offline

Clint Burrell Active Member

My advice, once you decide on a pattern, would be to make up a few and give them to some of the top guys at a competition.

If they like them they'll tell people, if they don't they'll also tell people.

And yes, a quality rasp at a decent price will sell. Has the biggest turnover of any tool in the trade.
  12. Offline

UK Tool Maker New Member

I agree Mikel, I'm not about to produce tools from pictures and opinions alone, we do want to work with a farrier, but until I can guage whether having a Farriers Name on them is required (100%), then it would be pointless to work with one farrier, only to have another Farriers name on the tools.

I am waiting for a responce from those we approached in the first place, to see if any have an interest in a range of tools. Once we guage this interest, we can then approach farriers just to help with development (Bribe them with tools!!). We then would put out a small batch for 'Field Tests' (Pardon the pun), and check the design is ok. We'd be pretty confident, as we make thousands of hammers every year already, so it would be a test for application, more than quality and function.

Once we are further into the process, and I have the relevant permissions, I will be seeking to work with a farrier, and understand the tools more before we begin drawing up designs.

Thanks
  13. Offline

UK Tool Maker New Member

Could you give me a link to some examples? Why would they blunt off so quickly, isnt the foot of a horse reasonable soft? (Compared to steel?) [hides under a bush waiting for the onslaught of abuse!!!]
  14. Offline

UK Tool Maker New Member

Well we'll see how we get on with the farriers products first, but you could always be our figure head for our new products. Next month we launch our Rubber Chisels and Tartan Paint, so dont give up just yet...:D
  15. Offline

You don't the farrier's name, but having known farriers using your tools, have it be known you have worked with farriers to develop the product will go a long way in getting better acceptance from other farriers. I would highly advise you contact Chris or Smitty on this site and some of the other UK farriers as they got contacts to the ones who compete and such.
  16. Offline

david a hall Moderator

I was thinking about hammers the last couple of days..... Do we expect to much from them? I watch apprentices wielding hammers that are far to heavy into metal that is too cold onto tool steel that modern fullers and stamps that get increasingly harder. They miss the steel and hit the anvil and guess what they chip.........
    Us old boys dress them on the lineshaw and keep the edges tidy....
    The other thing is do we take enough precautions, long sleeved shirts and eye and face protection.... Should we expect a tool to last ten years when it cost the same as a box of save edge rasps....

I wonder if some of the people who claim quality issues are expecting too much.
  17. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

A nice balanced hammer does me david, not to heavy
    as im getting old
  18. Offline

chris bunting Well-Known Member

how often do you change stamps , fullers , pritchels etc , i know lads that still only have their forging tools they used at college , i am constantly replacing tools , they only have so many shoes and retempering in them ,
  19. Offline

Fullers I buy, but pritchels, fore punches I make myself as needed.
  20. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

A lot depends on how you use your tools