USA VOTE

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by ray steele, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

I knew something was amiss when I saw the shadow of a Farrier rig.

As to windmills, they can not ever generate as much power as it takes to build, transport, install, maintain and rebuild. Ask T. Boon Pickens how well they work. Any power company is only installing them because of government mandates or government subsidies or both.
  2. Offline

Kim Turner Master of my own domain

3. Offline

Mikel Dawson Active Member

Totally agree Steve.
  4. Offline

DeniseMc Member

Depends-If they were younger than 21, regardless of whether they were serving in the military, no, they could not vote, prior to 1971. They could be drafted and shipped off to fight a war at 18, but not allowed to vote. That changed in 1971 when legal age was lowered to 18. US involvement in Vietnam War ended in 1973, so they would have been allowed to vote in Presidential election of '72, which Nixon won and later resigned to avoid impeachment...."I am not a crook"
    Prior to 1970, the minimum legal drinking age was 21. Some states lowered it between 1970 and 1975, to 18, 19 or 20. Back then a teenager could be forced to fight a war, yet not be allowed to vote or legally drink a beer....
  5. Offline

Denise, the problem is not age, but many times where they are deployed, mail delivery and the problem of getting ballots out to the soldiers early enough to be returned in time to vote. There have been times where mail has been "lost" on the way back. I still have not received a package I sent home from Bosnia in 1996!!
  6. Offline

DeniseMc Member

Mikel,
    Gary's question was whether Military personnel were not allowed to vote during the Vietnam era. If they were not 21 prior to 1971--they could not even cast a vote. In 2012 there is not the age issue for Military personnel like there was prior to 1971..

7. Offline

Denise you need to really read what he wrote, I quote, "I did not serve during the Vietnam years as things were slowing winding down when I was 18. I did hear something today that really disturbed me tho...that our Military was NOT allowed to Vote? Is that a common thing or what??? Floored to say the least!!"

What he was saying is he didn't serve in Vietnam. Then he changes the subject bring up the fact that our Military was not allowed to vote. Nothing about not voting in Vietnam. Read, he heard something and the key word is "Today".
  8. Offline

DeniseMc Member

A failure to communicate. So why would he bring up Vietnam, not serving, 18 years old.. if he wasn't asking the question in reference to that? ........... Gary?

Or maybe Gary is referring to this?:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...9cf76ac-e080-11e1-8fc5-a7dcf1fc161d_blog.html

9. Offline

Now you got it!!
  10. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Clinton was great to, we liked him nearly as much as Obama, but that Hillary gets on my nerves, not surprising he had to get Monica to sack his cook. Michele is much nicer.
  11. Offline

DeniseMc Member

Hilary was my choice in the 2008 primary; did not vote for either Obama or McCain in the 2008. I think the choice of Palin really killed it for the Republicans back then and still McCain defends Palin as the better choice (over Romney) as his running mate. hmmmmmm......
  12. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Are yes that Sarah Palin, Strangely alluring in a scary way.
  13. Offline

Justin Decker Active Member

Denise how much do you think things are going to cost when drilling is put out of business and coal fired power plants. I do like the pictures though of the mine pollution, it's funny that they are always pics of mines prior to the legislation we have today. Not saying that accidents don't happen, but I have first hand experience in mining and power plants. For some reason I never saw the things that people claim. Almost all of my family has worked in coal mines for generations.

When I was working at the quarry, we built the underground mine there and drained everybodys wells when we got down to 400 ft in the ground. Every one got city water piped to there house compliments of the company.

I also find funny how people want to shut down things because they are destructive to the environment, yet they use the things that are products of the various industries that they are trying to shut down.
  14. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

I will restate the question. Are military personal allowed the RIGHT to vote? Only mentioned Vietnam is because that is the closiest I came to joining..
  15. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

South of where I live by about 30 miles is a huge strip mining operation that has been going on for over 30 yrs..they reclaim the land and make it better than it was and no one has ANY health issues from it?
  16. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

David, I'm really appreciating your opinions and perspective on our political contenders. I have yet to see you post an opinion that I don't agree with. It's interesting to hear from "across the pond". The "scary" comment made me chuckle. I intensely disliked Mitt Romney and his positions. Just didn't think John McCain ( & scary Sarah ) were up th the job. From a "northeast liberal", in case somebody hasn't figured it out yet.:p

See Denise, I don't always disagree with you.

Regards
  17. Offline

Kim Turner Master of my own domain

I like this thread. :)

Thanks David. :p
  18. Offline

Yes they are allowed to vote. First they have to apply to their state for a ballot, then it needs to be sent to their location, it is filled out and returned. Sometimes the problems come in the transportation part. But yes all Americans got the right to vote. I voted while in Iraq.
  19. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

Well I know three families whos sons are in the service and not just one branch, NONE got to vote!
  20. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

A father of a Marine had to send gun cleaning kits to his son and his squad...they had none provided them??? OH and they were stationed in Afganistan....??