USA VOTE

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by ray steele, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Offline

DeniseMc Member

And there is that key word again. Look up Halliburton Loophole and lack of federal regulation in the gas and oil industry.

Not trying to shut down anything--it is as you said--needs to be done responsibly-- without the damn foxes guarding the henhouse.

And some illnesses don't always manifest immediately.
  2. Offline

DeniseMc Member

Gary,
    Look up Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act, the Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot or Federal Voting Assistance progam. They do everything in their power to ensure the Military and their families, or overseas citizens employeed by the US Government or certain expatriates their right to vote in Federal elections.
  3. Offline

DeniseMc Member

And I don't always disagree with you!;)
  4. Offline

Justin Decker Active Member

Denise you didn't answer my question. All I'm going to say is be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.

Saw this the other day thought it was pretty funny.

Let's put tax cuts in terms everyone can understand.
    Suppose that every day, ten men go out for dinner. The bill for all ten comes to $100. If they paid their bill the way we pay our taxes, it would go something like this:

* The first four men (the poorest) would pay nothing.
    * The fifth would pay $1.
    * The sixth would pay $3.
    * The seventh $7.
    * The eighth $12.
    * T
    he ninth $18.
    * The tenth man (the richest) would pay $59.

So, that's what they decided to do. The ten men ate dinner in the restaurant every day and seemed quite happy with the arrangement, until one day, the owner threw them a curve.

"Since you are all such good customers," he said, "I'm going to reduce the cost of your daily meal by $20."

So, now dinner for the ten only cost $80. The group still wanted to pay their bill the way we pay our taxes.

So, the first four men were unaffected. They would still eat for free. But what about the other six, the paying customers? How could they divvy up the $20 windfall so that everyone would get his 'fair share'?

The six men realized that $20 divided by six is $3.33. But if they subtracted that from everybody's share, then the
    fifth man and the sixth man would each end up being 'PAID' to eat their meal.

So, the restaurant owner suggested that it would be fair to reduce each man's bill by roughly the same amount, and he proceeded to work out the amounts each should pay.

And so:

* The fifth man, like the first four, now paid nothing (100% savings).
    * The sixth now paid $2 instead of $3 (33% savings).
    * The seventh now paid $5 instead of $7 (28% savings).
    * The eighth now paid $9 instead of $12 (25% savings).
    * The ninth now paid $14 instead of $18 (22% savings).
    * The tenth now paid $49 instead of $59 (16% savings).

Each of the six was better off than before. And the first four continued to eat for free. But once outside the restaurant, the men began to compare their savings.

"I only got a dollar out of the $20," declared the sixth man. He pointed to the tenth man "but he got $10!"

"Yeah, that's right," exclaimed the fifth man. "I only saved a dollar, too. It's unfair that he got ten times more than me!"

"That's true!!" shouted the seventh man. "Why should he get $10 back when I got only $2? The wealthy get all the breaks!"

"Wait a minute," yelled the first four men in unison. "We didn't get anything at all. The system exploits the poor!"

The nine men surrounded the tenth and beat him up.

The next night the tenth man didn't show up for dinner, so the nine sat down and ate without him. But when it came time to pay the bill, they discovered something important. They didn't have enough money between all of them for even half of the bill!

And that, boys and girls, journalists and college professors, is how our tax system works. The people who pay the highest taxes get the most benefit from a tax reduction. Tax them too much, attack them for being wealthy, and they just may not show up at the table anymore. There are lots of good restaurants in Europe and the Caribbean.

David R. Kamerschen, Ph.D.
    Distinguished Professor of Economics
    536 Brooks Hall
    University of Georgia
  5. Offline

DeniseMc Member

A more equity system:
    Everyone pays an equal percentage of what they make:

first four make $0/day They pay 10% of $0=0
    fifth makes $25/day. He pays 10% = $2.5
    sixth makes $50/day. He pays 10%= $5.00
    Seventh makes $100/day. He pays 10% = $10.00
    Eight makes $200/day. He pays 10% =$20.00
    Ninth makes $300/day. He pays 10% = $30.00
    Tenth makes $400/day. He pays 10% = $40.00

on the $100 bill looks like there's $7.50 left over for the tip.

So owner wants to lower their bill by 20% for being great customers: everyone's contribution is reduced by an EQUAL PERCENT
    First four make 0/day. They pay 8.8% of 0=$0.0
    Fifth makes 25/day He pays 8.8%= $2.20
    Sixth makes 50/day He pays 8.8% = $4.40
    Seventh makes 100/day. he pay 8.8% =$8.80
    Eight makes 200/day he pays 8.8% =17.60
    Ninth makes 300/day he pays 8.8% =26.40
    Tenth makes 400/day he pays 8.8% =$35.20
    the 20% reduced bill makes it an $80 bill but there is now $94.60 collected-- so the owner gets a better tip but is collecting a total of 20% less. Teach folks to look at the percent

I don't think it's fair the wealthy are taxed at a higher percent rate, but it really galls me when the wealthy can pay a LOWER PERCENT of their income (like Romney, especially considering how he made his fortune) compared to those that are barely keeping their heads above water.
  6. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

Denise!!!!!
    You are a Fair Tax proponent! I love your rate table except for the part where you get to eat if you don't work. What happens when the ones paying don't want to work anymore? Who pays the resturant owner then, if he's stupid enough to keep working himself?
    Remember when the Evil Rich like Romney, only pay 15% on their dividend income, They are paying on the income of invested money that has already been taxed at 35% to 45%.
    Remember too, that increasing taxes on the Evil Rich has never, anywhere increased revenue in a significant amount. Lowering the tax rate (as JFK did) increases revenue. Lowering the tax rate on corporations (we now have the highest rate in the world) would bring in much more revenue and bring factories back to the US, as well as attract other manufacturing.
  7. Offline

How is your graph comparable to the real world since everyone is not taxed at an equal percent. The point of the graph is be careful the tenth man may not show up and take his business elsewhere. Like I said before be careful what you wish for you just might get it. If that were to happen in your graph the first scenario would leave them with only $67.50 to pay a $100 bill. The second would leave $59.40 for an $80 bill. See what happens a deficit, using you first scenario after a year of eating everyday the men would have a $11,862.50 deficit. Then the restaurant will have to go out of business and lay people off creating unemployment not only in the restaurant but unemployment in the suppliers of the restaurant because they haven't paid the bills.
  8. Offline

DeniseMc Member

I'm in favor of simplfying the code. 10% across the board regardless of how the income is derived. No special breaks just because it's a capital gain-10%. And I agree with lowering tax on corporations---as long as they are not shipping jobs off to foreign countries to maximize profits due to lower wage/benefit standards in other parts of the world..
  9. Offline

DeniseMc Member

My point was EQUAL, EQUITABLE TAX RATES, for everyone. Teach folks to look at the percentage, not the dollar amount, so no one feels "cheated" and feels like they have to beat up on someone.
  10. Offline

That's not the way it works though.
  11. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

Denise,
    I am shocked, simply SHOCKED!!! Do you want a 10% raise on the income of more than 45% of Americans? The poooooor too?
    Also when corporations leave for foreign shores, their production costs go up due to inefficiency, transport costs, poor quality, etc. They increase their profit in the lower tax rate of the host country. With a low corporate rate here, we could be the host country.
  12. Offline

DeniseMc Member

Those that are eating "for free" are serving their country in the military. When no one wants to work, no one gets to eat, not even the military.

I'm sure that's a typo-but yes, a 10% raise on income would be nice.:)
  13. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Dont even ask me about Bush :D You remember him, the guy who knew he shouldnt be there but thought he'd make the best of the gig while he was there. It is scary to think that most of the posters on here had a higher IQ than him.
  14. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

No they're not. Their meals, lodging, etc are part of their compensation package. Those on welfare on the other hand..............
  15. Offline

DeniseMc Member

In my make-believe world where everyone is taxed at the same rate, there are no welfare handouts. Those that are on welfare are going to have to work---I'm going to kick out all the illegals that suck up resources and free up their menial jobs so those who were on welfare will have a job. How's that for redistribution of wealth? The military can still eat for free.
    People and the government will have to learn how to live on a budget. If they can't pay for it, they can't have it.
  16. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

Agree with most of your post, but most of the servicemen and women get fed far less than they're worth.
  17. Offline

Steven Comer New Member

18. Offline

Mikel Dawson Active Member

Every soldier/marine when deployed goes with a weapons cleaning kit. Who knows if it gets lost while there. In the Army (was a SGM) while deployed a soldier can request another one through their supply chain. One thing I did was write home and get some graphite lub as it was better than the oil provided (2003). I understand there has been a change in the lub since.
  19. Offline

Mikel Dawson Active Member

Here is a good chance for a Congressional investigation. Tell them they need to contact their Congressman and get an investigation started. They do happen. As I say, every American has the right to vote and interfering with that right isn't taken lightly.
  20. Offline

DeniseMc Member

Steve, Again, Thank You for your service.
    Looks like base pay is now up to $1644.90 for an E2. Regardless. Add in other benefits, like the GI Bill for college tuition (checked the cost of college lately?) health care, housing, etc and it's pretty darn good compensation for someone coming out of high school with no skills or experience (in most cases) or having money for college and unsure about what they want to do with their life. You also stand a chance of learning valuable skills instead of relegating yourself to flipping burgers the rest of your life.