uses of the patten shoe

Discussion in 'Shoeing Horses with Lameness Issues' started by DeniseMc, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

20141115_103635(4).jpg
    seen that the thread is about a patten bar
  2. Offline

chris bunting Well-Known Member

how high should the bar be ?
  3. Offline

You shoul d know the answer to that chris
  4. Offline

we always follow the instruction of the vet overseeing the shoeing , i tend to weld a piece of steel tube across as the bar and squash it down on each refit to reduce height as asked , in over 35yrs I have never been told by any mentor , instructor or judge on the height of the bar just how to make the shoe , some like it turned from the inside of the heel , others from the outside , some like it wide , some like it no wider than the quarters , but none have pointed out anything about the height , to be honest it is not something I have really thought about as i would never fit one without the vet been present and then follow his/her instruction
  5. Offline

I always work with the vet
  6. Offline

david a hall Moderator

I've been thinking about this. I can't think of a calculable formular for the height. I have used them for bowed tendons and for severed tendons, iF you have a height of 3 or 4 inches and the shoe is on one leg it makes it tricky for the leg to load and there fore tricky to over load the DDFT, I guess that's as accurate as you need. Lowering it gently will bring the loading on the DDFT gradually.
  7. Offline

its easy to calculate how much steel is needed for whatever height the vet requires but I have always wondered how the vet in charge decideds what he needs , whenever I ask why ( in private I must add )i always get the smile , and "because "
  8. Offline

david a hall Moderator

That's what I meant Chris, I was referring to the need for height not the metal it takes.
  9. Offline

thats why i asked in an earlier post if there could be a problem with the extensors fitting a shoe too high