Wedge shoes

Discussion in 'Everyday Horseshoeing' started by Platerforge, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

What we don't know from the study is whether or not The horses started with aligned phalanges. For me, this would be important because a low heeled horse would start with greater strain in the DDFT so raising its angle with wedges would decrease that strain while concurrently increasing the strain in the SFT and SL. With that in mind, it is postulated that low heeled horses who already have phalangeal misalignment are more likely to bow/injure the SFT and/or SL than the DDFT Further, since SDFT bows are more prevalent than DDFT bows in horses that are involved in activities that require routine hyper-extension of the limb, ie: racing, jumping, etc, it would be worthwhile to examine the limb/hoof conformation, paying particular attention to the heel height and toe length of those horses so affected. A case could also be made that horses with very high heels might be more susceptible to SDFT injury than to DDFT injury even if the limb is not hyper-extended.
  2. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

IMG_9175.JPG

Gary Just jumped a heel to give an idea
    would gain a bit height when branch is turned
    13/4" in each heel
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Offline

brian robertson Active Member

You folks have to remember that race horses, these days, spend 3/4 of their life standing in a stall not on the groomed race track. So shoeing for standing/static balance is just as important as motion/dynamic balance.
  4. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

I hope this isn't too far off topic, but I'm curious. Has any of you ever seen a DFT bow?

Regards
  5. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

Thank you Smitty, great job of upsetting the heels without destroying the crease...Im pretty sure I would have alot uglier look than that..:)) Nice shoe Sir!!
  6. Offline

Kim Turner Master of my own domain

Shod exactly the way the vet wanted it. He talked about feet needing to be identical, and how Farriers only look at the sole to balance the foot and don't strive for even heel bulbs.

When he measured the feet he made a big deal out it being a 2° difference in the feet, and the RF had 1/8 difference between heels. LF heels were even.

uploadfromtaptalk1345553696885.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1345553710862.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1345553780581.jpg
  7. Offline

He wanted to leave the sole as is, no cleaning up. (Horse tends to retain sole) He said he wanted sole left for more surface area on the shoe to promote expansion.

I didn't get to see the xrays because he didn't bring them. He wants the horse kept to those precise measurements. Says the horse also has medial sidebone, but since its on rest is not needed to adjust the shoe any. (I was thinking bevelled edge)

Is the whole measuring thing to have a "well she didn't keep to my measurements, and that's why he's declining"?
  8. Offline

Justin Decker Active Member

I believe I would have handed him my tools, or left. There's a lot of trimming left on that foot, and since if the trim is not right the rest is not going to be right I doubt your going to do much for the horse and in the end your going to be the one who did it wrong.
  9. Offline

He also made a big deal out of there being a 5 degree change from barefoot to shod. Saying if it was a flat shoe, why did it change so much.

I said heel length and rolled toe, he didn't disagree but kept on about the difference.
  10. Offline

Before......

uploadfromtaptalk1345555557076.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1345555667548.jpg
  11. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

Were you able to keep a straight face when he said that?
    A truly competent professional.....:(
    So, did you inform the owner that you'll be back once a week to make sure that is accomplished? And that the fee is the same, regardless?
    You're in a no win situation.
    IMO, yes.

I would run, not walk, away from this situation. ie: I am in agreement with Justin on this.
  12. Offline

No I'm sure I had a bit of a "WTF" look on my face during the whole lecture starting with Farriers only look at the sole for balance down to the leave the retained sole.

Vet suggested 3 to 4 week cycle.

Gut told me this when he first started talking.......... I'm going to see what happens in this cycle, then tell the owner most likely.... "your horse is going to end up just like he was when I first started on him (hooves way out in front with tons of retained sole)."
  13. Offline

My choice with this based on the diagnosis....... would be half round shoe with bar wedge, IM and see how he handled it.
  14. Offline

The way the horse looked the first time I saw him....... feel his headed back there with the current rx.

kim.jpg kim 1.jpg
  15. Offline

Marc Jerram FdSc AWCF www.thefarrier.co.uk

The feet look the same as they did when you first saw them now. I would get the owner to find a vet that works with horses! This sort of level of knowledge I would expect from a cat/dog vet.
  16. Offline

I sent the owner these pics showing the progression from this to where I had them and the recent pics.

She was very happy to have this Vet come out, and I hate to be a naysayer. So I'm hoping she'll take note of the pics and how the horse ends up looking in 4 weeks and challenge this herself. I've expressed that I don't totally agree with the Vet, and would approach in a different manner.
  17. Offline

Marc Jerram FdSc AWCF www.thefarrier.co.uk

Good on ya Kim, theres a worldwide shortage of good vets. 90% of this horses problems can be addressed with the trim. Best of luck :)
  18. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

Kim,

I was in a similar situation a couple of weeks ago. The vet said the angles were perfect, but the horse needed more heel, so he wanted wedges. :confused: Couldn't diagnose the lameness, did neither nerve blocks or X-rays, wouldn't put the RX in writing. A mostly dog and cat vet. I had recommended a different vet in the first place, but this one was closer. I declined. Sometimes you have to.

Regards
  19. Offline

Platerforge Guest

well when they have absolutely no heel at all and they are burning their bulbs off and soring up; anything to wedge is better then letting be the way they come in
  20. Offline

Platerforge Guest

I tell go some one else who wants to the horse; or tell the trainer to shoe the horse himself; since he know so much.....your just trying to bait me rick it don't work...