Wedge shoes

Discussion in 'Everyday Horseshoeing' started by Platerforge, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Offline

Kim Turner Master of my own domain

YES, thank you David for remembering the rest of this thread. This is just an update to show what he grew in 3 weeks and how it looked and how he's moving.

All the info is there regarding the Vet wanting to leave the retained sole and even a picture of the hoof as I had him set up prior to this. (I've known he has a tendency to retain)
  2. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

Kim, have you thought of using some of your training with more specialized communication tools on this vet? You know, baton, handcuffs, taser . . . ;)
  3. Offline

LOL, I'm curious how long the owner will keep him on this short schedule.

She still wants to stick with this Vet, but I think she has some doubts based on what I've shown her (xray of fetlock region not hoof) and his evasiveness on answering questions about the sidebone, etc.

One interesting thing is that he had a little less retained sole (usually flush with wall growth) than usual this time, but could be more weather related.
  4. Offline

George Spear Member

OK so here is a defining moment. The Vet is asking you to do something that is flat out wrong and not in the interest of the horse but you are building your business. At 3 weeks it looks wrong. Function does follow form and this trim will cause injury to the horse. So you either keep shoeing the horse (after all if you dont someone else will and "I was only following orders, its not my fault" or you walk away.

Walk away do not work with this Vet. Applying a trim/shoes that you know will cause injury to the horse is A.) Malpractice and B.) will cause you to accumulate bad karma. There is no clinical reason for this trim there just isnt. Sure its the vets RX.... Walk away. Sure you were just following orders .... Run away the "Nuremburg Defense" has no place in your practice.
  5. Offline

Could always have the vet sign in to this forum and defend his "diagnosis."

Popcorn anyone?
  6. Offline

Well the horse was just cleared for light duty. Vet came out later that evening. I imagine now I'll really see the effects.
    I've talked to the owner about my concerns. I'm definitely taking notes on this one.
  7. Offline

Speculate it'd go like this.

All horse's should be symmetrical. I want to unload the DFT and give it time to heal before addressing any other issues. Leave the retained sole to increase weight bearing surface to promote expansion.

I asked the owner to question him on the hard lateral landing of the left front. If it was possibly related to the sidebone being worse on the medial side, and she got the lets address one issue at a time type response.
  8. Offline

chris bunting Well-Known Member

Kim just shoe the bloody horse as instructed and take the money ,
  9. Offline

LOL, Someone else gave me that same advice.
  10. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

Chris,

The problem is that it's Kim's neck on the chopping block and as most all of us can testify, when things go south, the vet will be the one with "axe in hand" ie: "Well Mrs. Owner, if your farrier had just followed the Rx I prescribed, this wouldn't have happened............".

I agree with George, its time to bid this quagmire adieu.
  11. Offline

any farrier at any time can be dumped by any owner for any reason , all you can do is your best at all times , shoe the horse take the money , it is business ,
  12. Offline

Chris, over here this business lives or dies on reputation. When the vet blames you for the "results" of following their instructions and goes around telling everybody in your area that you're incompetent . . . NOT GOOD. Especially when you're just starting out trying to build a good reputation.
  13. Offline

Tom , who determines what the reputation is ? Bullies who know chuff all , do " WE " know what our own reputation is ? i dont give a XXXX , every horse (foot) we shoe is done to the best standard at that particular time , there is nobody out there that can do more than their best other than talking and living lies , which will always be found out one day
  14. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

Or one can take each foot of each horse and gain experience. Thus, I mention to newbies, "what happened to this horse is not a lack of 'expeirence' but a lack of experiences".
  15. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

Why? If one has experiences, learned and can "deal with people" why should their be any 'chest beating?'"

maybe I should have preferenced but now an acentode':

WB mare shod for 6 years. Presented w/ LF lameness, Lh fetlock chip and shivers. Bla Bla Bla: good vet care and farriery. Owner moved horse to another farm out of service area of attending vet.
    New vet, with rads of hind feet. owner/vet conference, negative angle in LH per rads.... phone call from vet... negative bla, bla.... response " Good doctor, had "your idea on the mare 3 years ago, shivers has become worst over the past few years. We can't spend a lot of time under her. Thus, there is a 3/4 cc of sedavet admined and 3/8 x 1 1/4" straight bars, with a prejudical rockered toe applied and suffiencient caudaul support per your rads. With your "treatment of the shivers" hopefully we can apply a package of "Our Ideas" of the horse. Until "WE" see a substainial improvement in the "Shivers" condition I and my assiciosiates will not spend undue time under the horse. Injury is an inherir'ate' danger of the equine industry.
    Thanks Doc! Hope to "meet" you soon......

So we have the three mentioned above:

1). "Shivered horse" will break toes....

2). "Negative angles are due to, in most cases, a flexural problem...

3). "When people are confronted with facts" an interprospective takes place......

And the circle is, "Experience versus experiences".....
  16. Offline

travis dupree reed Active Member

Kim ain't walking away..she's in it to win it.. as them brothers and sisters say down in the dirty south ..get dat paper boo boo ..feed them babys don't let that money get away..
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

Agreed! But the "paper' aludes alot of us"cause we don't readit". We "spendit". But when "the nut cutting comes without backup (reading treatments of "shivers and other nuero disorders and flexural problems) ;who's ass in suspect?
  18. Offline

I don't have to worry about "nut cutting". Been taking notes on all I observe, and the Vet told the owner that evening he was "happy" with the reset. So if he back pedals hopefully it's evident to her.
  19. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

"Notes?" Really ?, you did learn something........
  20. Offline

I posted my observations that I noted on this thread in fact...... :)