What Constitutes A Good Shoe Job

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by ray steele, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Offline

Box Forge New Member

I think Joe has best explained must of the evasiveness of this subject given that there are so many things that make up a good solid shoeing job. I think much of what William, Eric, Tom and Ray have said all factor into the equation. We all are presented with horses everyday that present different challenges and require special adjustments to our norm, but I think to do the question justice, we would need to assume that the foot is normal(if there is such). For me to walk from a horse and say to myself, "that was a solid job", it would include but is not limited to being balanced(whatever that is to you)(for me it's long axis), a shoe that is fit from the toe to the widest of the frog without any compromise, clip(s) that are set in flush, good solid nailing, clean finish, clean defined frog, bar defined but not compromised, etc. Obviously, there could be a very long list of things. I shoot for what I perceive is best, but don't claim to hit the bulls-eye every time. I like the word intentional as was used above and I think everything we do should be done on purpose. If it's not then change it with purpose. Ultimately, we are all just trying to do what we think is best for the horse. Whether we agree on everything or not, if someone believes their way is best, I am always open to learn why they believe it is best. Enjoyed reading the above perspectives and thanks to all for the horseshoe how-to's, always like looking at pictures. Building my new shop now so hope to join in maybe by summer.
  2. Offline

Michael Allen Champion spokesman for UK toolmaker!

In a nut shell. Its leaving each hoof better then I found it.
  3. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

Personally I've never found a hoof in a nut shell. :confused:
  4. Offline

Michael Allen Champion spokesman for UK toolmaker!

Its amazing how things are different all across the country! Nut shells are used here for arena footing and path ways. And if you grind them up add epson salt it is a great way to pack a hoof that has an abcess.

Sadly, here in CO, we use so many peanut by products that anyone with a peanut allergy has had to quit horses all together. At one show alone five people were rushed to the hospital over the dust that came from the arena.

So that is the history of how that statement is used in CO. Frankly, I am a little disapointed you did not know that.
  5. Offline

I'm just sittin' here in the peanut gallery . . . on the Group W bench.
  6. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

Hi all just came on board here
    ray how many horses do you shoe in a week?
    as in sets of shoes
  7. Offline

ray steele Administrator

John,

I'm only touching 10 to 15 horses per week now,with full shoes, maybe 1/2 that depending on the season .

Regards

Ray
  8. Offline

9. Offline

Thank you Ray
  10. Offline

vthorseshoe Active Member

Interesting thread.

Would you all agree that a sequence could be;

Trim and prepare the hoof through trimming to get the animal to set up and move better than it did.
    If shoeing then make or shape a bought shoe's to enhance the trim job and add its mechanical properties to set up and allow the horse to move better, or relieve stress from injury of any kind.
    Now worry about your finish work and nail alignment for others looking, or for your own self improvement of your work.

As we all want the finish work to look and reflect our best work, Isn't our best work to get the animal to move as sound or better than it did or to keep it sound and moving as good as it already does, which ever applies ?

Just some thoughts.

my 2 cents worth
    Bruce Matthews
    Alvin, Texas
  11. Offline

vthorseshoe Active Member

sorry for the double signature, just forund the save section...
  12. Offline

Eric Russell Active Member

Hey Bruce, welcome to the forum!

I agree with everything you said. I personally think the whole job leads to a good finish. From good knife work, to trim, hoof dressing, shaping/forging, nailing, finishing.....

I think we'd all agree if the horse is worse off when we're done it's a bad job. Is the fact that the horse is still able to do his job or do it better mean it's a good job?
  13. Offline

William Kiner WCB # 362

Bruce , Eric is correct everything goes in to a good job. If someone lacks on one of theses points it goes from a "good job" to a "that will do job" and if someone thinks that the client doesn't know the difference pretty soon the person doing the job doesn't know the difference either .
  14. Offline

I once fired a client for complaining that I was too meticulous and particular about my work.
  15. Offline

Mikel Dawson Active Member

When I am done - is the horse able to continue to do its job with ease. I use to not be too concerned with the appearance as I knew when the horse went back into the box the hooves were covered with crap or out in the mud. Now I try to be more concerned with the appearance of the hoof when done. I'll have admit some customers do comment about my trying to make the appearance better, so it does matter. Do all my nails come out in a straight line - no, not that I don't try, but if the nails are high enough I don't want to make new holes in the horn. After my final rasp, I brush over with my hand to see if I can feel the clinches. Yes I have pulled a shoe because it didn't look good to me. Do I fit all shoes the same - no. Sometimes the shoe very tight, sometimes more expansion. To quote Mr. Burton - it depends. Am I perfect - no, but I try to improve and do better. I have really enjoyed this thread, getting prespectives and seeing where I can do better.
  16. Offline

George Spear Member

What makes a great tasting meal? The service ,the ambiance, the decor the talent of the chef, the recipe the freshness of the ingredients. cooking is part science part art. Part undefineable magic. But we sure know it when we taste it. What makes a great martial artist. Practice on the basics over and over. A kick is a kick a punch is a punch but a lifetime is spent perfecting them. In the arena the practitioner combines technique with feel and his love of his opponent to deliver a contest full of magic and courage. Undefineable magic but we know it when we see it. What makes a great ride on a horse. Basics, practice courage feel partnership with the horse, artistry. We all know it when we see but its hard to explain. What makes a great cake..... Chocolate bar..... Weld on a pipe in a nuclear plant that absolutely cannot fail as it carries the coolant....... What makes a beautiful woman beautiful....... What makes a great shoe job? It starts with a commitment to service to the horse (not the owner) putting the horse's welfare first. With a sacred refusal to do work that is good enough, sufficent, OK, just getting the job done. Each foot is thoroughly and properly balanced, the horse is held in a position that is comfortable for him not you, the shoe is properly shaped using the best tools and techniques despite environmental conditions (I run a forge on the hottest days in the summer as one does better work on hot rather than cold steel), each nail is properly driven, any trouble or worry that arises in the horse is confidently and humanely dealt with with an eye to supporting him thru the process leaving him better able to be shod the next time, each clinch is precisely formed, each foot is smoothly dressed. The entire performance (because it is a performance, an art, a ballet, a form of moving zen) is beautiful to watch from the moment the horse is led up to the moment he is done and enjoying the peppermint or apple flavored horse treat that I give him to thank him for his participation in the endeavor. I think what makes a great shoe job is ultimately the philosophy of the practitioner of the art of farriery doing the job. If there is commitment, kaisen (constant improvement) , a refusal to accept any compromise in standards, and a sincere devotion to the horse, then there is a chance to someday..... perhaps when one is older and wise and ready to retire maybe to do a "Great shoe job" I often look at my work and am satisfied with what I have done but its going to be hard for the words to leave my mouth "wow that's a great shoeing job I just did" when my mentors are so humble. I was speaking on the phone with one of my mentors the other day and he said "You know George I actually think I'm getting pretty good at shoeing horses. And I bet you thought you'd never ever hear me say that." And in fact I never thought I would hear him say that even though in my eyes he has been doing great shoe jobs since I met him many years ago. Sorry for the long philosophic ramble but I'm viewing this forum as kinda special and wanted to share just how special I feel a Great Shoe Job really is. I sure hope to be able to do one someday. That's one of the reasons I'm on these forums.
  17. Offline

That was nice, George. Since you've upped the ante from what makes a good shoe job to what makes a great shoe job, I'll throw my hat in the ring on that philosophy as well.

To me, a great shoe job is one that you remember in detail even after thousands of jobs have come and gone. It is the job where the horse could barely stand and you got it to trot. It's the job where there's no foot to hold a nail and you still get a shoe nailed on and it stays there till the next appointment. It's the job where you are the hero because you gave somebody back a horse to ride that they though they would never be able to ride again. Great shoe jobs are the ones you pull out of your ass in a hopeless situation and leave your client thinking you can walk on water.
  18. Offline

Tom you can do all that you mentioned and not be a great shoeing job
  19. Offline

George Spear Member

First of all apologies to all I failed to read the thread title correctly and did indeed up the ante to great not just good. I think most of us on here can do good work LOL. In my defense I was home sick and not as alert as usual. I agree with smitty that good shoeing can accomplish the outcomes tom talks about. As I side note I am really enjoying this forum which at this point in time has many that I consider friends, no one who I do not consider professional and courteous, and the tone and demeanor here is refreshing.
  20. Offline

True, but then it wouldn't be a memorable job either. And I done some memorable jobs that I would rather forget about. :)