What is the weirdest thing you found in a foot?

Discussion in 'Everyday Horseshoeing' started by Tejun, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

Bill,

She told you she checked them twice a day, I'm guessing.

Regards
  2. Offline

grimwood Member

Names Derek Grimwood and I was told the same thing. What I thought was odd about it most is how it got wedged from the back like that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
  3. Offline

ozark forge New Member

vet calls me one day and asked me to come put a hospital plate on a horse that had a fractured sole and fractured p3. when I got there, I knew the horse owner and knew he was lazy. the vet expressed to him how important it was to remove the plate and doctor the foot, keep it clean and dry. when the time come to reset the horse, he was in a dry lot and we had been getting a ton of rain. the owner said he had been out of state working for 3 weeks and the hoof hadn't been doctored in that time. I pull the plate off and there was 6 maggots under the plate. at first I thought this was bad but as I started gleaning the foot with a wire brush, I discovered it was probably the cleanest neatest hoof I have ever worked on. I then remembered "maggot therapy" . I mentioned it to the vet when I next seen him and at first he was disgusted but also remembered maggot therapy and said it was a good thing the maggots were in there since the horse hadn't been doctored.
  4. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

Derek.
    The one I saw was like that too. It looked like the horse had to have kicked the rock to jam it in from back to front.
  5. Offline

slowshoe Member

I see big rocks all the time stuck in the heels like that.. Well at least a couple times a year. Shards of glass, sticks... I was trail riding about 10 years ago and someones horse pulled up lame. I lifted the hind foot and there was a 3 inch framing nail stuck through the back center of the frog and it exited the back of the above the heel bulbs.. The horse wasn't even that lame. Pulled the nail out. There was blood, but not a lot. The horse was sound in a few days. I have a video or picture of it somewhere.