What's happening to my horses bulbs/feet?

Discussion in 'Everyday Horseshoeing' started by Mike Maddix, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

you should be able get a light singe and nail him up
    keep the shoes light
  2. Offline

brian robertson Active Member

glue is the enemy with this horse's feet. It looks like race horse feet/shoe them like a race horse feet.
  3. Offline

Mike Maddix Member

give me more info please. I think I'm in agreement with you on the glue. It seems to be doing nothing good for him. Why do you say it's bad though? MORE INFO!!!

I also know nothing about race horse feet. Never even been to a track. Can you tell me why they look like race horse feet, if that's a bad thing (I think his feet look awful) and how to shoe them like race horse feet.

I just shod his hind end today and used a light steel shoe. The st croix "sure fit" was an out of the box shoe that fit right to the foot with almost zero change. I nailed it on with 4.5's and then put superfast around the bottom 1/2 of the foot because during clinching the hoof wall would just crumble. What would normally be a nice and tidy small clinch turned into 3x the size I would prefer.
  4. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

mike pics would be good of the feet before you trim and fit then nail then clenching
  5. Offline

brian robertson Active Member

the glue is holding moisture in those already weak walls. look at the black gunk in the walls when you peal off the glue. Tom Bloomer offered a good recipe in the WLD thread for getting rid of that. Your shoe shaping must be dead on, putting the nail holes EXACTLY over the white line(not just near or close enough). Clips and nail high, over the junk at the bottom, think in terms of nailing with 3 1/2 or 4 race nails and hammer clinch; less likely to pull any wall down.
  6. Offline

Jack Evers Active Member

Some shoes are punched more coarsely than others, even within a brand. In St Croix for example the rims and plains have the nail holes about a mm finer than the eventers and extras. On a thin walled horse it can make a difference. I've seen a couple cases of farriers getting into trouble nailing the wider shoes to a thin walled horse. Don't know what you're using, but you might look at this.
  7. Offline

BrianDarby New Member

Just curious but what is this horses diet also?
    It may sound trivial but using a supplement alone with sub-par nutrition isnt going to work as well.
    Ive seen it alot with my clients.they really do care about the horse but when it comes to feed and feet they skimp.

By no means am i accusing you of anything but lack of a great nutrition diet can and will immediately show up in the hooves.

On the other note of repair,I believe the hoof repair is coming along but heres my opinion.
    It seems that your having trouble with the heels expanding outwarx with growth.Our 30 year old arabian had this same problem.i will leave his bars alone,pare very intricately into the seat of corn,and leave his frog be to expand out a bit too.

Then Ill carve the rear of the buttress,nearest the frog,to where his heel should be.this has helped his heels stay where they should be.ive also read that we can burn a "7" into the hoof wall on the outside and this supposedly helps the heels expand by giving relief to the shell.Ive not tried this before but am quite interested.

This is all my opinion but hope it may have helped a bit.
  8. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Brian why do you think the heels are contracting?
  9. Offline

BrianDarby New Member

David-from looking at the pictures, it looks as though the bars are not protracted enough.it seems the may have migrated inward from taking them too deep or too many times.in my experience with the mentioned arabian,this had to be corrected from previous trims not by myself.
    If i am seeing this wrong,please correct me for we are here to learn & help each other.
  10. Offline

slowshoe Member

Can we see some pictures of the nailed up foot?

Im betting a real big problem is that your nails are too low, this will for sure cause your feet to break up.

You wont see the benifit of suppliments for nearly a year depending on the horse. And at that point it's hard to say if it was even the suppliment that made the difference. I get lots of supplement questions and never have a good answer. I just haven't seen any potentially non bias data on the subject to be honest.

If you can't get those heels in a good place frog support can be a big help.
  11. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Brian I recon you could put reinforced concrete in that capsule for bars and the outcome will be the same. Get hold of a foot which you have just taken a shoe off with decent bars and squeeze the bulbs together. The problem with this foot is the position P3 occupies in it.
  12. Offline

BrianDarby New Member

Thanks for the smart ellic remark.that still doesnt answer the question i asked.not one of us one this board can possibly answer nor diagnose this situation without having a direct hands on experience with this hoof.
  13. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Brian it was neither my intention nor am I capable of being a smart alec.
  14. Offline

david a hall Moderator

So lets have a chat about the horse. He is more high low than club footed.
    There is not a structure from the withers down that isnt involved or affected by this conformational trait. 90% of horses fall into this category all though the differences are almost unobservable to dramatically different.
    Make no mistake some horses have shit feet and when there is conformational defects then this can become more difficult to shoe. There are lots of things that can contribute to that, these feet look wet and soft. Add to that slight inaccuracy of the fit, pulling and replacing nails and the foot can soon break up and take months to repair.
    The bulbs and frog on this horse have prolapsed and also look inflamed.
    The hoof integrity has been compromised by conformation, environment and management.
    Then there are the bio mech considerations of this horse . the coffin bone is held in place in balance between the extensor and flexor tendons. This can be effected by posture or pain avoidance or simply by responce the bones there lengths and the angles they make with each other.
    He also lands pretty lateral first on that front left and breaks over the lateral toe. the medial heel wouldnt even touch the ground.
    Brian this is about 10% of what is going on on this horse.
  15. Offline

michael mackie New Member

on the light walled horse you can use a racehorse shoe like queensplate cause they are fine punched. i like the kerckhaert century support , and they are about the same type of punch. you can set the shoe proud or fuller and nail up if you want. and not use clinches on it cause you can rip the walls , just use the use the hammer and block. in the second pic it looks like the shoe is to small, and that does a club foot need to have the shoe set back like that. and can the heels be set longer and fuller will give the hoof better support behind. frog support might help this hoof. i agree with others about a possible hoof wall infection, and Tom has kindly told us about choryline dioxide, might help.