Who or what decides if a person is a farrier

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by ray steele, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Offline

Marc Jerram FdSc AWCF www.thefarrier.co.uk

IMG-20130306-00136.jpg
    Well this bloke doesn't know what he is!!!!!

Found this at a livery yard notice board last night PMSL!!

If this is the way things are going around here then im moving to gloucestershire where the big money is!!! :whistle:
  2. Offline

david a hall Moderator

I just keep trying to shoe the next one better than the last. I have done certifying, passed some failed others, each time I set a goal my skills improve, I dont do it for the letters after my name. I am getting older now and punishing myself in the forge has left some marks on my body as it will all of us.
    I love to pass on my knowledge to others who want to learn. I have no criticism of other systems, they are the system and good luck to them, the good hands will always be the good hands no matter where they come from. I envy any country that has a democratic approach to the production of farriers as long as the good can rise, alas in our country to few have to much control and the common good is sometimes missed.
  3. Offline

david a hall Moderator

There is a big "G" Gloucestershire. I recon you would nearly cut down here.
  4. Offline

Dave Whitaker Active Member

Watching two French farriers working side by side, the elder, wiser of the two watched as his young understudy picked up his nails one by one, driving some into his horse's foot, throwing some of them out......... not able to remain silent, he asked, "Pierre, what the hell you doing wasting all those nails"?? The younger farrier replied, "you said the little mark on the head goes to the inside of the foot....half of these nails are no good, they are facing the wrong way!" To which the wise, old, certified farrier replied, " You idiot!..... those nails are for the other side of the foot!!" :D

Dave
  5. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Im off to play golf and drink beer for a few days.
  6. Offline

Kim Turner Master of my own domain

I like the $18 hike above the "standard" trim for the "Barefoot" trim and assessment of course.
  7. Offline

Shane Wood Oklahoma

Nobody has ever answered my question...

What does it profit a person to stand for testing, aside from the personal satisfaction of knowing; and having proof on paper by some testing body, that you can provide a "minimum standard of care"?
  8. Offline

Not sure if this helps answers your question but there is a vet practice by me that only allows farrier certified at AWCF or above to perform corrective shoeing on horses they diagnose so some farriers will have lost work to horses visit the surgery for lameness diagnostics.
  9. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

Well Shane, If ya' gotta ask......... And, in my experience, that 'minimum standard of care' is well above what many folks who call themselves "farrier", provide. In fact, true or not, I have on occasion, heard such individuals referred to as "ham-fisted hoof butchers"...............:eek:
  10. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Marc,

and to think that the ladies of the evening get the bad name, for being in it for the money!
    But at least they are honest about it!

Regards

Ray
  11. Offline

vthorseshoe Active Member

So Ray and Rick you don't have any passion about working as a farrier ? You both are strictly for the money and the mechanical workings ?
    You do this as a vocation with no feeling about it one way or the other but to collect the pay check at the end of the job ? (right... Your both romantic businessmen with great skills )
    Perhaps its the romantic in me that talks about the passion for the job and working with the animals.

I acknowledge your both better businessmen than I and probably see the chaffe from the wheat better than I. (don't know what that actually means but read it in a poem one time)

Perhaps after working at the trade as long as you both have you have gotten hardening of the arteries and the passion is lost some where between the kidneys and the heart. (thats a joke son)

I see enough of the blokes trimming and nailing and setting shoe's who don't know how or just don't care enough to learn to do it in a proper manner. (note I didn't say do it right, cause I know Rick will come back with "it depends")

I will still contend that it is the passion of the business in many forms that has held my interest and love of this trade. And it is the skills of men like you that have taught me so much over the many years.

My 2 cents worth :)
  12. Offline

ray steele Administrator

13. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Bruce,

I had a whole diatribe written about this when the phone rang and i got into another diatribe with my brother about family stuff and snow, by the time i got back ,my time had timed out so now you ll have to relisten to my typing!

Passion, what are you talking about, my kitchen table and front porch is strewn with my passion, ....my wife calls it more of Rays /Dads stuff, that doesn t just include the stuff I try to sell but also what I use everyday that works for me!

You ll need to define Passion, to see if I ve lost it , but.............................

if your talkin loss of passion because I emphasize doing good business vs "wanting to do the best for the horse" I ll take you up on that...here and now, cause if your not doing good business, you won t be round to do the horse any good.

Please explain your definition of PASSIOn vs being a farrier

Regards

Ray
  14. Offline

Kim Turner Master of my own domain

Jaye taught me this.....
  15. Offline

AnthonyLawrence Active Member

#55 for a full set.... is that including VAT?

Seems bloody cheap to me Marc... 'specially compared to #38.50 for a BS...... errr, I mean BF trim.

Is that the going rate around there?
  16. Offline

travis dupree reed Active Member

Oh good god the pillow fluff of Shoeing for passion and not into it for money..lol..its laughable..the sheer thought of someone cant have passion and do it for the money..besides is someone getting rich Shoeing horses I not know about..there's so much easier stuff out there to do and make same money so on that alone says any and all farriers enjoy it..saying one has more passion than the next guy is like saying he now does a bad job and one is a better farrier than the next guy that lost passion..if its not about the money and all about helping then get a regular job and shoe on weekend and afternoons and not charge a dime because then and only then can one say he not in it for the money...I have to ask how many of you shoe for rescues for free for the love and help of horses..rescues beg for donation of time
  17. Offline

I personally charge more than that although that is the average rate of a UK farrier these days, that would not include VAT as an annual turnover of £70k+ is required before you add 20% to your prices
  18. Offline

AnthonyLawrence Active Member

That's a sensible threshhold, rather than the $70K in pacific pesos here.... But that's only 26 head a week, add in a few pour ins, bar shoes etc...surely many guys would be over that?

Unless your biggest account is Mr C. Ash I suppose. :LOL:
  19. Offline

Dave Whitaker Active Member

I do , Travis...... I give a local rescue 8 Saturday mornings a year, donate on average $5K worth of services annually to a theraputic riding center that is the real deal, and just committed to donate the foot care to a TWH mare that a group of my clients rescued only to find out that she is in foal and due in about 60 days......
    Farriery is a passion for me.... I do it because I want to,not because I have to..... I think that Bruce has it right if I understand him correctly.... without a passion for farriery, this would become a terrible "job"...at least for me...

95% of my book I charge a healthy fee to do...... am I getting rich shoeing horses??? You bet your ass I am... I get to play with horses all day long and call it work and it throws enough money so I don't care how much a loaf of bread costs, I can buy more hoof knives from Frank Ringle that I'll never use just 'cause I like 'em, and there is always gas money for the Harleys...... :D

Dave
  20. Offline

Josh Ramsey Member

I can't exactly remember how Craig Trnka says it. . ."make you're vocation your vacation, and your vacation your vocation". . .basically if you love your job you'll never work another day of your life.

On certification. . .you have to view it completely as a prescription that you are being asked to fill and then getting judged as to how well you fill that script in the given time. Try are not and end all to education, just an open door to learning and improving a skill set that can be used throughout your career. Todd Walker told me "passing the CJF is not congratulations, it's welcome to graduate school". . .I'm finally realizing that.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2