Why Farriery?????

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Karen Fletcher, May 26, 2012.

1. Offline

Karen Fletcher Active Member

Why did you decide to become a farrier?

Is there any regret?

Do you still feel it was the right decision?
  2. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

Im the 7th generation i had no choice:)
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. Offline

Josh Ramsey Member

Didn't like my job and wanted to do something with horses.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  4. Offline

Josh Ramsey Member

No regrets about choosing to, just might have taken slightly different path to get where I am.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  5. Offline

chris bunting Well-Known Member

somebody upstairs told me that it was time that a good looking bloke was needed , regrets ? , the vacancy is still open
    chris
  6. Offline

Kim Turner Master of my own domain

Similar to Josh, but loved my previous job just had to let it go. No regrets, I have more time with the kids.
  7. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

Just imagine been in an office all day:eek:
  8. Offline

Kim Turner Master of my own domain

my desk jockey position does have me in an office the majority of the time, but it's only twice a week thankfully. And LT has started letting me assist the City's farrier on duty whenever he comes by.
  9. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

All I ever did was animal care, with Zoo's , Safari Parks and Circus's.. just comes natural for me to be shoveling shit and caring for animals of all kinds. I was able to specialize by becoming a Farrier...I do miss the excitement of working daily with exotics, everyday was an adventure...now shoeing everyday there is a horse that is a challenge in one way or another...:cool:
  10. Offline

Travis Morgan Copenhagen. You can see it in my smile!

Started out doing horses I was training, and just expanded from there. When I moved back to Kansas, I couldn't stand my training clients, so I just stopped training for the most part.
  11. Offline

When, during your vacations?
  12. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

Been there, did that, got the long sleeve collared shirt with buttons . . . not going back.
  13. Offline

chris bunting Well-Known Member

Karen every day is a holiday
    chris
  14. Offline

Steve Marshall Member

I got into it after moving to the states and couldn't settle into the dodgy car dealer network over here. Only regret I have is not taking it up sooner when I was in England. I would rather deal with a difficult horse than a dumb boss, I can fire the horse! I was told by the guy I apprenticed with that this is a job you do because you want to not because you have to. The day it is that the time to quit.
  15. Offline

brian robertson Active Member

When I was a kid all the shoers drank heavily, good or bad, the tracks or the farms, rodeo or show. I got tired of my horses getting screwwed up, if they were shod early am 'cause of the hangover effect or shod late in the day 'cause were no longer sober and besides, How hard of a job could it be if you could do it drunk every day? 40 years later all I have to say for myself is... What a dumbass I was!
    Back then alchol was used as an analgestic, not a moral failing; now I have access to better drugs and orthopedic surgeons on speed dial
  16. Offline

Funny, Brian. I know what you mean. But, it's funny that the first farrier I had in Florida was a drunk, and he did a better job than the last 4!!! I wish I could figure that one out!
  17. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

"Find a job doing what you like and you'll never work a day in your life." I can't remember who said this, but they were right.

I did my time in the office, and I'm too dumb to drive a truck.

Regards
  18. Offline

Rick, that's got to be one of the best comments I've heard. I wish I could think of my job as such. Close, but only close.
  19. Offline

Steve Marshall Member

Karen it is and it is not. I got hurt awhile back and lost ten days, it was a bear to catch back. I was lucky it was just ten days. Sometimes it really is not worth the money. There are only so many unruly drafts that your back will stand. All part of doing your time though.