Quarter Crack Why Pull A Quarter Crack Together?

Discussion in 'Shoeing Horses with Lameness Issues' started by Spot On Shoeing, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

Forgetting your wife's birthday . . .:cool:
  2. Offline

Thomas Opinionated and I know it

Did anyone see this:

http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=19760

3. Offline

Eric Russell Active Member

Nice article. While I don't disagree with the sheared heel idea as an early warning sign for horse owners. I think it's better to teach them to go behind the horse and look at the horses feet from the back.
  4. Offline

Pat Reilly Active Member

I did not see the article, but I was contacted by the New Bolton Center communications office about this. Apparently the Horse Magazine called in requesting to interview someone regarding quarter cracks. When the office referred the magazine to me they declined, as they were only interested in talking to veterinarians on this subject.
  5. Offline

That is ridiculous.

Is their contact info for the magazine?
  6. Offline

7. Offline

Never mind, duh! There's a link at the top of the page.
  8. Offline

Spot On Shoeing __________________

I believe they are in the same complex as the AFA Headquarters. They publish the Horse the official publication of the AAEP(which I get), and the Blood-Horse a publication for Thoroughbred racing and breeding. (which I used to get)
  9. Offline

I'll let you know if they respond to my email. (y)
  10. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

Should have referred them to Dr. Esco Buff . . .
  11. Offline

John Muldoon Member

I will never pull any crack together just stablize when nessary. I like the screws across the crack in the hoof wall. In my thinking it acts as a dowel pin to stablize the wall and help prevent movement after the cause of the crack has been addresed and floated.
  12. Offline

Jack mac Guest

I'm Trying hard not to be rude. But! I think you may need a little more extensive experience. Trying to hold a crack together will only create more pressure at the cornet. Due to the nature of varying angle & density of hoof growth paten & dimensions in time over growth period . Your patch will stay in a stagnant state. The hoof wont . There seems to be a lot of misunderstanding on how a hoof grows.
  13. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Jack mac,

Thanks for trying , I see that with what appears to be a little effort you can! Keep up the good work. Please understand, in so doing no one is asking that you agree,follow along,sheep to slaughter etc, just discuss and may I suggest when you do disagree give a theory /suggestion as to how you would improve the situation/problem. Realize that that will be open to discussion also. I look forward to milking you of all your knowledge and opinions!

Please get one thing understood, from my perspective, only one person can tell me what a a$$ that I am and that I take as totally credible and that is Mrs. Steele, my guess is that others feel the same way about it,(they have their own Mrs. Steele) so I suggest the instead of telling me what an a$$ I am, show me...

Thanks in advance ,we look forward to many good discussions.

Regards

Ray Steele
  14. Offline

Jack mac Guest

Well you just let me know when its time for my monthly vacation. It was part of my salary package afforded me by Baron with my last Gig . :D Oh and I do hope you realise that the punters love a good train wreck once in awhile. Their only human; well some of them . I'm fine with batting for the away team. There's nothing like an angry mob to inspire hitting it out of the ball park.
  15. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

Cool! contacting a non-mechanic on mechanical issues is typical.... like I mentioned to you Patrick a couple years ago, look at the rads of the navicular bones and there will be bone loss on the medial or laterad portions of the navicular bone that coinsides with a crack in the heel or heel quarters.
    Toe cracks are another issue into it's self.......... hind foot

Media Centralis 022.jpg

front right.....looking for rads....

qrt crack 2 004.jpg
  16. Offline

Pat Reilly Active Member

Without being rude, the quote above is not a sentence so I have no idea what point you are trying to make.
  17. Offline

Jack mac Guest

That doesn't surprise me. With out being rude!. The person who has no idea of the point trying to be made is not really a farrier. IMO
  18. Offline

Jack mac Guest

My wrong for trying to condense my post in to shorter statement. Bottom line the radios of the hoof is increasing with ever second of downward growth.The area surface increases with that downward growth. Your screw /wire/ patch does not increase causing pressure to build. Where does that pressure travel to ?. Back in the direction of the coronet.
  19. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

Unfortunately, your proposed model/hypothesis is flawed.
    First, as there are several surfaces, to which one(s) do you refer?

Second, where have you accounted for the changing angles of intercept with the ground that horn tubules, depending on location around the circumference of the hoof capsule, enjoy?

Third, you have not accounted for the cause(s) of the crack.

Fourth, your basic premise that "Your screw /wire/ patch does not increase causing pressure to build." ignores the fact that the items mentioned function to return the damaged wall to its normal non-damaged condition and therefore allows the wall to function as it should.

Fifth, there is no evidence that supports your premise that this causes [undue] pressure(and here, you need to define 'pressure' and whether it is internal or external and why said pressure is different in the area of the crack vs the rest of the hoof capsule).

Sixth, and perhaps most telling, it is routinely demonstrable that the correct use of mechanical devices(screws, wire, acrylic patches, staples, etc., as an aid in the remediation of an ongoing quarter crack works, and in so doing, in conjunction with other correct horse management
    practices, restores hoof health, thus disproving your hypothesis and renders it unworthy of further consideration.
  20. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

Jaye,

Do you know if any studies of this have been done? Does this occur even when the crack is posterior to where the navicular bone is located? What, if any, role does hoof morphology play? Is this phenomenon also present in the instance of wall cracks caused by treading or other injury to the coronary band, particularly when the insult results in permanent damage to the coronary band?