WLD surprise

Discussion in 'Shoeing Horses with Lameness Issues' started by Kim Turner, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Offline

Kim Turner Master of my own domain

Called for trim discovered hoof wall bulged out and large cavity. Horse was not really limping. Just a pasture ornament/ lead pony for child.

Didn't have my drimell. Used nippers, half rounds, loop knife. Cleaned area up best I could. Fullered and punched new nail hole. First clip did good, second messed up. Placed as such to provide a little more stabilization than just a toe clip. I hope at least. Second clip barely made contact.

Think I did well on the shoe mod but nearly rasped off my clinches. Horse was tired of me by then.

It is still separated up to the CB, but I could not go farther. Picked that as clean as I could. Instructed owner to do white lightening soak and make CS paste to apply twice a week then durasole.

Horse moving fine now. No frog support as its confined to paddock and not being ridden.

Thoughts? Please don't gig me on the finish I know is not good, but the first clip fit was good to me. Solar shot is tilted. Medial heel is not on the frog. Made sure of that. Lol.

uploadfromtaptalk1359141930316.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1359141946330.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1359141967225.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1359142001643.jpg
  2. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

Kim maybe 3 clips , one near enough were you nailed a toe clip and a clip at the other heel area
    they say a clip in the right spot is worth 2 nails
    well done
  3. Offline

Thanks. I wrapped my my arm with an ace bandage. Seems to have helped a little. Drawing the clips is what hurts the most
  4. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

IMG_1785.JPG IMG_1782.JPG you need to take less out and forge a bigger clip
  5. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

YOU GO GIRL!!! :D
  6. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

Nicely done. You might want to consider going back(with your dremel and an assortment of bits) and doing some more 'exploration along both the margins you have established and in that crack that is further back. You might also want to consider, for future reference, a diagonal bar to add further stability.
  7. Offline

It was a 00 shoe I think I should have used the cross pein instead of the ball pein. Either way I was struggling. :(

My right arm is killing me now I don't know if the wrap really helped or not. Seems the finer movements is what bothers it most. That and using the nippers
  8. Offline

Thanks George, Tom, and Rick. :D

I do plan on going back with my Dremel later. Do you mean like a plate screwed across the resected area?
  9. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

Over wrapping your arm will cause more pain...sometimes...:( OK IMO , feet like this are subject to barshoes or even heartbars with no pressure . Just a clean trim on the frog and two nail it and look from behind as the horse loads on the shoe..then if the horse seems content..nail it!
  10. Offline

It may have been wrapped too tight I don't know. I wrapped it yesterday and it felt pretty good so I thought it would work again today.
  11. Offline

No, I meant a bar welded in from just in front of the heel diagonally across to just at or in front of the first nail hole on the damaged side.
  12. Offline

Oh, gotcha
  13. Offline

Dave Whitaker Active Member

Nice go Kim! You sure helped that foot out....

Is your arm a tendon/ligament deal? If so, you might want to try some DMSO applied to it. Most "health" food stores have a high grade of it available in roll on bottles. It will be clearly labeled not for human use to cover their asses, but I tell you,in my experience it will work wonders. I now know why the horses like it. I find that if you can taste it in your mouth in about 10 minutes, you got enough on it.....

As to your foot.... I also like bar shoes on these... usually straight bars with either a frog support pad or Equipac. I like Rick's idea of adding a diagonal bar. I would debride the rest until all margins were clean and then I have had great luck affixing an aluminum plate over these, adhered on, leaving the resection open to be treated. I'm not sure what this does but it consistently speeds up good, solid, new growth. I think it's stabilizing the hoof so that the new growth has an easier time staying together as it comes down. It may stimulate circulation as well as the Nolan hoof plate guys alluded to... once I'm certain all the infection is gone, I close them up with a carbon fiber patch that usually stays on until it all trims out the bottom.

Dave
  14. Offline

One caveat. If you decide to try the DMSO, make sure your arm is "surgically clean". Anything that is on your arm will be carried in by the DMSO and it can cause some very nasty consequences.

:cry: I once failed to scrupulously clean the skin on and around my aching elbow. I painted on some DMSO and four days later I had a raging infection that had to be surgically removed. So please, learn from this fool's mistake.
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. Offline

Yes its a tendon injury. I have used dmso on it. I have not surgically cleaned it first though. I understand it opens the cell membranes. I've always put thermaflex on first. Maybe its killed any germs. Lol

I want so bad for this to heal. Its holding up my workouts too.
  16. Offline

Clint Burrell Active Member

I second rick's recomendation. DMSO works well,but you don't want anything else on the area. Ran into this at the track w/ fly spray. Will make you sick as hell.

You might also try Surpass, pricey but works well. Ask your vet.

Sold as a solvent, DMSO works great for removing blood.
  17. Offline

Dave Whitaker Active Member

Yup...forgot to mention that.... thanks Rick...

Dave
  18. Offline

Thanks guys. :)
  19. Offline

Gabino Active Member

Tensolvet works very well.
  20. Offline

brian robertson Active Member

I love Surpass so much, I have offered to apply it to client"s horses for no charge; makes my tired fingers feel great and there's none of that awful dmso taste in your mouth. Not sure what the FDA thinks about it.