Worst feet ever

Discussion in 'Shoeing Horses with Lameness Issues' started by Kim Turner, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

Kim wait till you do come accross some horses with bad feet:eek:
  2. Offline

Kim Turner Master of my own domain

So these are good?? lol
  3. Offline

Draftshoer Active Member

I agree with Marc, walk away. I learned this lesson the hard way. You would much rather her tell everybody "she wouldn't work on my horse" than "she messed up my horse with shoes" or whatever other reason she can come up with.
  4. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

Parelli is a......(ray was here) Again Parelli is a ......(again); hope the FK calls me out. Just Like the ........, the barefoot Guru Ramey that he is my backyard. No reponse from him in the last 6 years....
    People like salesmen/women......
  5. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

I never liked them Parelli tires either . . .
  6. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

GET YA SOME OF THIS:

Media Centralis 297.jpg
  7. Offline

Mark Gough New Member

Good horse, bad horse, good feet, bad feet... doesn't matter.

At the end of the day the difference will be in the attitude, experience, willingness and perception of... the owner.

One bad owner can do more damage to your business than a dozen challenging horses.

A good owner can make the rest of it seem easy.

Cheers,
    Mark
  8. Offline

I did have one like that (the Arab) ......... Sent ya the pictures saying I didn't think I was going to be able to nail to it and you called me "scared".

Ended up trimming down enough to get some nails in. lol
  9. Offline

Yes, I finally lost the one customer I should have let go the first few times I had issues with her. But at the time I was more afraid of losing the whole group out there. Well now she's "fired" me and I lost that group of friends anyway. Both of her horses have issues, and are overweight. Currently she is blaming me for what's going on, and trashing my work to whoever will listen. Thankfully I have the original diagnosis and pictures of everything I've done so some of her claims can be dismissed.

She claims I "foundered" her horse and caused the other's heels to become contracted. Now one of her friends has one that's had an acute episode and even though I've not seen the horse in 9 weeks, it's my fault too. :rolleyes: The one that I did the resection on with the frog support pad and putty, she claims the Vet told her you never pad one after resection because it makes it worse. o_O

Anyways rant over. lol But yes I learned a valuable lesson on this topic. Good news I have an opportunity to work with another Farrier from the Birmingham area that does show Arabs in the pads. The owner of the barn liked my trim work and wants me to learn from the other guy so I can replace lost packages, etc because it's 3 hrs from Birmingham area.
  10. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

Birds of a feather, Kim. Your best clients will give you your best referrals.

Your worst clients will tell all their friends about you so you won't be getting calls from more people just like them with the same attitudes and problems. That's a good thing. ;)
  11. Offline

True hadn't thought of it that way
  12. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

Again, one is worried about "reputation". If "one" is worried about education beyond what is written in the literature thus a "follower" not a leader. A "leader" takes info, empiralcal experiences and applies it to the ponies and clients to the situations. Sometimes one has to say., "Sorry, Our goals are not the same".............
  13. Offline

chris bunting Well-Known Member

granted , what happens when things go wrong with the good owner ?
  14. Offline

Mark Gough New Member

It depends, but you can bet dollars against donut holes that the experience will generally be better than when things go south with a bad owner.

Some horses take more than one visit to dial in an optimal performance or therapeutic package. Horses pull shoes, experience lameness, present conformation defects, behavioral issues and a myriad of other daily challenges to the farrier. A quality owner understands this and knows that we don't carry a magic wand in the truck.

A lot of factors constitute what a farrier may refer to as a quality owner. Trust and respect rank high among those criteria. I want an owner to trust that I have their horses best interest at heart and will do everything I can to meet their performance and soundness expectations. It's just as important that the owner understand that they have a responsibility in this too.

I'll travel a reasonable distance to help a quality owner. I wouldn't walk across the street to help some of the others.

Cheers,
    Mark
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List