Xray fun

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Kim Turner, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Offline

Kim Turner Master of my own domain

Took this horse to the Vet today for Xrays.
    27 yr old TB/QH cross former mounted police horse.

Swelling in RF above the fetlock and down. Heat, elevated pulse. Resistant to shoe being pulled on RF. Reluctant to stand solely on the RF for any small amount of time. Stands normally bearing weight on the LF, slight reaction to hoof testers on the LF. No swelling in the limb of the LF, some heat, slightly elevated pulse.

Disclaimer* Foot was not all the way on the board so M/L is not accurate.

Poco RF.png Poco RF skyline.png Poco LF.png
  2. Offline

Don't know what happened to the third one. I'll repost it again later if someone wants to see more.
  3. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

Standard disclaimers apply.....

Please thank the vet for using radio-opaque markers as a part of his/her radiography protocol.:(

Not much sole depth, some remodeling at the tip of p3, the solar margin of p3 is irregular and in spots, diffuse, minor rotation of p3 and hoof capsule away from parallel orientation of wall and dorsal surface of p3. Perhaps some exotosis at the PIPJ. My SWAG is sole bruising, early stage pedal osteitis and low grade laminitis. If you're using shoe pullers, don't. You're exacerbating the problem. Use crease nail pullers to remove the nails one by one. You are cutting the clinches before you attempt to remove the shoe aren't you?
  4. Offline

Mark Gough New Member

Does this horse present visible separation of the sole/wall junction from the lateral side to the medial toe quarter? Perhaps inflammation/heat/bounding digital pulse due compromised vascular bed at solar corium as bony column descends. Whiteline disease? As Rick noted, radiographic markers would help with emphasis on CE measurement.

Cheers,
    Mark
  5. Offline

Yeah they were backed up so I didn't press for a better setup.

o_O omg, cutting the clinches would have made it easier. I still love you Rick...... most times. :p
    I was using my pullers so I definately won't next time. Horse is 27 yrs old, notice anything interesting in the rads in regards to his age?
  6. Offline

No visible separation, the vet checked the foot throughly as he was surprised by this. They had an emergency that put them back over an hour, so they were quite rushed.
  7. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

No, should I?
  8. Offline

Eric Russell Active Member

Kim Kim Kim - Don't you think it's a serious problem when you can't tell when a horses foot is that short and that you shouldn't be using pull offs?
  9. Offline

Eric, You really feel that I'm that bad of a farrier? or Are you messing with me?

It was a joke on not cutting the clenches.
    For a Police Horse with a long career and his age........ I was surprised at the lack of ringbone, sidebone, etc. What I thought was usual age related problems
  10. Offline

I have no problem saying you shouldn't be shoeing horses on your own.

In a real apprenticeship you most likely wouldn't be allowed to clinch right now.
  11. Offline

I know I have a lot to learn, but I just don't feel like I'm doing as bad as, "not allowed to even clinch". I know I don't want to feel excluded on here.
  12. Offline

chris bunting Well-Known Member

i remove the nails one at a time with nail pullers with a horse i think might have issues , the first sign of discomfort removing the shoe would suggest that would be the way to go
    sorry Rick just realised you already pointed it out
    Kim without wishing to be rude , why are doing this horse and evaluating x-rays with your experience?
    chris
  13. Offline

I posted them for this forum. The Vet has already given the diagnosis. I was giving time for others to weigh in. Thought others enjoyed the previous Xray threads and was continuing in same fashion.
  14. Offline

For those actually interested.........

Mild Laminitis, Abscess in RF medial side, WLD is the shadow, chip on P3 on lateral side, demineralization on P3 medial side RF. Both Fronts have slight rotation.

Prescription from Vet. (I was there) Wants 1 degree wedge, caudal support (IM), take off more toe, breakover at tip of P3. Said no frog support, didn't elaborate.

There was only one thing I noticed after looking these over more, that the Vet didn't mention. What is this on the distal medial end of P2?

Poco RF skyline 1.PNG
  15. Offline

Kim, you are not excluded on here. Nobody's going to be babied either.

I'm not kidding when I say you probably wouldn't be able to clinch yet under a real apprenticeship. Certainly not all day under every horse yet.

Sore feet and stocked up above the foot is common. You don't take a horse to a vet with a very obvious lameness because they can only diagnose the obvious.

Pulling nails out one by one is SOP when the sole is sore. Pulse, heat, stocking up, all suggest hoof testing the foot.

Money would not have been spent on a vet if an experienced Farrier was on hand. It may be harsh but it's a fact. How you handle this criticism is on you.
  16. Offline

This above would be called constructive criticism vs. this down below which I would call demeaning. I have no issue with constructive criticism. In fact I welcome such.

17. Offline

The money spent on the Vet was by ME. I have been shoeing this horse at no charge since I started. He is another retired City horse, and though I don't own him, I still care for him. I wanted the Xrays so I could learn. This is the first incident I've had with this horse and turns out he has Laminitis and an Abscess. I think I've done ok so far, and My mentor said he will help if things go south. So professionally I'm on a good footing with this.
  18. Offline

by the time you have brought the toe back and fitted the shoe with the breakover as prescribed and plenty of lenght would a 1deg wedge make a difference ?
    chris
  19. Offline

what caused the abcess and the laminitis ?
  20. Offline

I don't think so, but Mentor said make the Vet happy. Lower the heels a touch, use the wedge. So I'll do that and see how it goes.