Xray fun

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Kim Turner, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Offline

Kim Turner Master of my own domain

Vet said likely he's been a chronic laminitic, and the abscess is actually from that. Possible he's just had a slight flare up as far as the LF having heat as well. Spring flush in the grass perhaps? I wonder if the chip on the coffin bone has anything to do with it. Though it's not loose.
  2. Offline

Eric Russell Active Member

I always like it when a vet says "how can I do my job until you do your job?"

There are obvious things that need to be taken care of by the Farrier so the vet can look into the other things if necessary.
  3. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

How does one diagnose an abscess via a radiograph?
  4. Offline

The computers the vets have in my area, you can see just about everything with the right adjustments. Although I still don't see many people diagnosing an abcess via radiograph.
  5. Offline

John Muldoon Member

Rick I have gone and dug out some after looking at the xrays.
  6. Offline

John Muldoon Member

Kim what are you calling chips in the latteral shots of both fronts have lipping on the front of P3 caused most likely from the rotation very seldom will you have it with out rtation because it is a tearing of the bone caused from the bone pulling loose of the lamina at the circumflex vessels.
  7. Offline

No not the lipping... I circled it. Also what is the circled shadow on the bottom of P2? Vet said it may cause an abscess later, but didn't believe it was a problem now.

Poco RF skyline 1.PNG
  8. Offline

Kim, John Muldoon, Pat Reilly, and David A Hall are the only Farriers on this website, that I know of, that are probably qualified to actually look at radiographs. Do what you want but I try to listen and think about what they say.
  9. Offline

John Muldoon Member

Kim that is a rim fracture and for the most part do not cause abscesses. The can become problems when the founded becomes acute. Now with that said get some help this type of horse can turn south fast even with an experienced farrier. I question the no frog support. What was the Vets reason other than he or she knows the expertize that it takes to apply it.
  10. Offline

My mentor said he would help me out if it goes south, but for now do like the Vet said. Just take a tad more heel then use the light wedge. He prefers Heartbars.

Everyone has questioned the no frog support. The Vet didn't elaborate. I asked about a heartbar or frog support pad and he said he wanted no pressure on the frog. A Bar wedge would be fine, but nothing further up.
  11. Offline

Karen Fletcher Active Member

I'm enjoying the xrays and studying what ya'll are pointing out
  12. Offline

chris bunting Well-Known Member

surely even a bar wedge will put pressure on the frog with the downward descending bodyweight ?
  13. Offline

I really wish now that the Vet had time to elaborate on the no frog pressure. Maybe he was concerned about improper placement, and figured there's less chance with a bar wedge.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
  14. Offline

How are you going to get break over where the vet wants it?

Eric Russell
  15. Offline

Rolled Toe starting about a half inch or so behind my rocker. My original rocker was not too far off where he wanted it.
  16. Offline

Who's idea is it to rocket a toe on such a short foot?

Are you going to continue to fit the shoe to that dish?

Eric Russell
  17. Offline

I've already nipped off the extra toe as instructed by the Vet, and dressed the foot. Right now owner is treating the abscess, and horse is on foam. Friday I'll be doing a White Lightening soak then shoeing him.
  18. Offline

I how you post pics. I'm very interest in how the horse responds to a rocker toe.

Eric Russell
  19. Offline

?? Your phone must have autocorrected you. I'm not doing another rocker. Just rolling the toe.
  20. Offline

Shane Wood Oklahoma

How would you go about getting the break over where the vet wants it?