Xray fun

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Kim Turner, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Offline

Kim Turner Master of my own domain

This was my answer to Eric's question. Am I missing something? lol

2. Offline

Shane Wood Oklahoma

I was asking Eric how he would get the break over where the vet wants it. I saw your answer and I was curious to see how Eric would approach the break over.
  3. Offline

Eric Russell Active Member

I would disregard everything the very said.

Once I got the feet back together I'd start discussing some of the vets requests.

Eric Russell
  4. Offline

Shane Wood Oklahoma

So how would you proceed? Disregard everything and then you would do what? I'm not saying you are wrong I'm just wondering what your plan would look like.

How would you get the feet back together?
  5. Offline

I'd fit a shoe to the non distorted foot and try not to stick him. Trying to fit a shoe well in a short sore foot is difficult enough for me.

All the other stuff going on is in material as long as the foot is in this condition. I don't understand why a horse gets taken to the vet for an xray when there's an abscess in the first place. Then for the vet to comment on a bunch of other things after the absces was found is odd.

Eric Russell
  6. Offline

Thought I answered that. I made the decision to take the horse to the Vet. The Vet understood that I was paying for the visit in order for me to learn more. I suspected the Laminitis and wanted to know if I was on track. As for the rest, I asked questions of all the things I thought I saw in the Xray.

Trying to learn and continue my education the best way I can at the moment.
  7. Offline

Ahhh, I'll just agree with you and your vet. Horse has laminitis and that's what caused the abscess, short feet, and shoe being fit to the end of the dish.

Eric Russell
  8. Offline

You like being contrary I think. Never said I thought "oh it's all laminitis". Shoe was being set back in previous shoeings, then went to rocker, THEN abscess showed up and I wanted to find out if the white line stretching was laminitis or a long toe. So yeah spent my own money to learn some more.

Now what I find funny is that you've seen my other shoeings. Some would say I don't pare the sole enough, so any trimming I do is wall mostly. Hard to get a foot too short if your not invading the sole. The rocker is the only place where I would have cut too short. In other words the foot was short on it's on due to the Laminitis. :eek: I just blamed the laminitis there. Come to think of it, Laminitis can cause abscess's due to dying tissues.

As far as fitting to the end of the dish, I've set shoes back before to fit the shoe to what would be non distorted hoof as you say. I've also rockered shoes on some drawn out feet like this, and in 20 weeks the foot is back to normal. Perhaps would have been sooner if I'd been sure of how much foot I could dress off, but alas the result was the same. I find I can always take it off, but it's harder to put back on.
  9. Offline

I think I should start wearing my neck brace full time.

Eric Russell
  10. Offline

Better retract my previous poke back. lol

Only one way to really learn, and that is to try. So I'll make mistakes, have some sucesses, and hopefully friends who will always be there to guide me along the way. Things I say my sound familar to your subconcious. I'm sure you had the same thoughts and someone to correct you at one time. I'm very grateful for those who take the time to explain why I'm not on the right track as opposed to laugh or snub me.
  11. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

There is no way that Kim has any business doing any of this. If she had wanted to be a Farrier she should have started when she was 20 in a program based on the UK or French model.
    The one tiny window that could posably provide her a chance to make it in this trade at this point in her life is that she's in a Country that is still Free enough to let her do it the hard way.
    Seems to me she is applying the Bill Adams Method of becoming a great (and good looking) Farrier. She's doing fine, learning on each horse, seeking and getting help and advice while studying diligently. She'll make it the hard way.
  12. Offline

LOL, Bill.......

Thanks for the kind words. Been a rough couple of weeks. Kids were sick, behind schedule on my horses, and worked to death this past week to get caught up. lol
  13. Offline

chris bunting Well-Known Member

the only way to learn is by MASTERING THE BASICS FIRST i.e ,learning how to remove a shoe properly , how to dress a foot correctly , how to apply the necessary shoe in the correct place and how to fix the shoe correctly to the foot .
  14. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

That's what she's doing, along with all the other aspects of the art at the same time. Takes longer, there's more mistakes made, but it's possible. It's an age old system known as "The Hard Way".
  15. Offline

Yes in a perfect world I'd be in a four year paid apprenticeship "Mastering the Basics". Reality is that is not an option for me, and I'm doing the best I can with what I've got. I'm not sitting back thinking I know it all, I'm reaching out on things that are above my head like this. My mentor has faith in me, and offered to help if it goes downhill. I've had people all along the way helping fine tune my skills.

Not saying I won't make a mistake, just saying I'm giving it a try. It's better than a lot of what is in this area believe it or not. Most pull the shoe outta the box, and nail it on the foot however close they can get it. Most horses do well in spite of that and likely most are doing well in spite of me, but I'm not stopping there. I want to get better.
  16. Offline

chris bunting Well-Known Member

17. Offline

Karen Fletcher Active Member

I am confused.
    Are we talking about rockering and rolling the shoe?
    How do you roll a shoe?
    Are we talking about a rockering meaning a shoe that is flat for the horse, and rockered underneath? Or rocker the toe to go into a rockered shoe?
    How does a wedge and a rockered toe work together?
    What protects the toe of the laminitic horse? It looks so close to the sole.
  18. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

Kim sure couldn't do what she's doing in Europe, 'course Europe has to call on the US whenever it needs help.
  19. Offline

Karen Fletcher Active Member

Could we all stay on subject
  20. Offline

I'm going to be putting a roll into the ground surface of the shoe, starting from a line dropped at the tip of the coffin bone rolled up to the edge of the shoe. Shoe will be flat on the foot side.

Poco LF 1.PNG